• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Nevertheless, I enjoyed re-watching Tenchi Universe. Now I have to find the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs that aired on Toonami if they are even available.

I remember rewatching this for the first time last year and having an absolute blast. It is part nostalgia, no lying there, but it is actually a great show.

Also, Funimation owns almost everything Tenchi now since they rescued Universe, Tokyo, the first two OVA series, and the three Movies back in June. So no hunting down OOP Tenchi Muyo for you Very Happy .

Anyways, I don't ususally talk about shows I'm not done with, but I'm 6 episodes into Tears to Tiara and am greatly disappointed. Why was I not warned this was a harem anime masked with Arthurian lore? I have nothing against harem anime, but I'm starting to burned out on that stuff, and I wanted to watch more non-harem/ecchi shows before my flame completely fizzles. Instead, I walk right into one where I get the revival of a so-called demon king...who then, somehow, ends up with two bimbo wives that love everything about him for NO real reason, at least not non-harem cliche reasons. What the f-ck? That seriously came out of nowhere for me and I let out my first ever "ugh" when watching a show. And I am not kidding. When Riannon went through her "I love this man" song and dance, I let out a big "ugh". It surprised me too.

I'm gonna stick with it because it's getting better, but I am not a happy camper. I wanted a fantasy adventure, not Ranma 1/2 with Irish accents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I am currently watching Bakuman, because I enjoyed Death Note and tend to follow creators whose work I've enjoyed previously. It's the nerd-version of a shonen setup, but one that I find rather enjoyable if somewhat otaku-inside-baseball and over-dramatic ("marry me when I'm an inevitable success even though my uncle failed at this very thing!"). As someone who has created comics in the past, it's fun to see these guys get so worked up and put the hours in doing the same thing.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I decided to watch my Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle OVAs DVD that I just got in the mail today.

Wow, that's early! Just curious - where did you get yours? I have it pre-ordered from Amazon with a projected arrival time between a week and a week and a half from now, with no signs of it being in the mailed or even prepped stage early at this point.

I'm really looking forward to them, as Tokyo is my favorite part of the manga. After your comment, I'm curious to see how the nicknames are handled, as (without giving anything away) they actually become a plot point in Tokyo. I'm eager to see how the actors do, as Tokyo is emotionally draining and can't be phoned in if any kind of justice has been done to it (and from the ratings I've seen here they apparently did right by it). I have to say that up til now I've preferred Tsubasa subtitled by a hair, as opposed to it's sister series xxxHOLic for which I've vastly preferred the dub.
I pre-ordered mine from RightStuf. They sent it out right before Christmas, but because of the holiday I didn't get it until yesterday. Anime hyper

Without giving anything away, things are handled very well. It's just that with Mokona's yelling during the action/fighting scenes when he's calling out Kurogane's name, you can just tell that the nickname are being used in order to cover the lip flaps, since the dub pronounces Kurogane's name differently than the sub. It was very, well, annoying - you would think that of all times, you'd call out someone's real name, not a nickname. Anime hyper
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
excaliber736 wrote:
Well, I just started watching Chrno Crusade, mainly because people keep telling me how good it is. I have also been told that it is very sad, which is a plus for me because I enjoy tragic anime. That being said, I have watched up to episode four and I must say that I am little disappointed so far, as the focus seems to be more on slapstick comedy which robs the show's scenarios of their intended gravity. Despite this I am going to give it up until at least episode 13 to improve because other people who initially disliked the show have said that it gets better around episode 12.

If you're looking for a tragic anime, you'll probably like the show. It's pretty wacky at first, but about the halfway point of the anime it takes a tragic turn and goes full-speed to a tearjerker ending. (In fact, after a certain point, there's...basically no comedy at all.)

Overall I much, much, MUCH prefer the manga version (they cut out a ton of the character development and changed some of the series' themes for the sake of the ending they wanted), but there's some points during the ending where I really appreciate how emotional they were able to make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Also, Funimation owns almost everything Tenchi now since they rescued Universe, Tokyo, the first two OVA series, and the three Movies back in June. So no hunting down OOP Tenchi Muyo for you Very Happy .

Immediately after finishing Tenchi Universe, I had a hankering to re-watch the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs. I checked on eBay first and saw that it would take hundreds of dollars to own OOP pre-owned Geneon release DVDs Anime cry. You have no idea how happy I am to see that article (tears of joy emoticon goes here).

Now it is a waiting game to see when Funimation will re-release all this Tenchi Muyo! goodness. Why is Funimation so awesome?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Finished Black Rock Shooter on Blu-ray the other night. I think my girlfriend loved it more than I did (lol) Pretty sure she could relate to the whole girl drama theme more than I. I'm a big fan of superflat so the art style of this show really appealed to me. The checker motif was interesting. The scene where spoiler[BRS walks across the wasteland littered with crosses ]really stuck out. I enjoyed how the show transitioned spoiler[from Mato and Yomi's real world friendship to BRS and Dead Master's epic battle.] Clever how spoiler[both stories "met up" at the end.] The stop-motion animation and digital drawing extras were fun. Overall nothing too special, but the Nendoroid Petit's and that monster storyboard book made up for that $50ish price tag. I'll probably give it a rewatch with friends some time.

Oh yeah. I'd also recommend this title as a nice gateway purchase into the world of Japanese imports. This product just screams quality.
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Finished Key the Metal Idol today after struggling through it. I must say it wasn't that bad until episode 14. That episode should be listed as a crime against humanity, it was cruel and unusual torture. Ninety minutes of info dump done through long winded monologues and still frame slideshows. I have never wanted an episode to end so badly in my life. Overall the show was fairly average, I couldn't really find anything to make it stand out for me.

Final verdict will be an average, 6.5/10. Strongly considering 1/10 for episode 14 alone though.

Oh, and I also got to finish Otome Youkai Zakuro today as well. The ending was a bit predictable but I enjoyed the series a lot, if not the most out of the fall line up. Sigh, it's going to be so long before a licensed blu-ray is available, if ever.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Hikikomori Safari wrote:
Finished Key the Metal Idol today after struggling through it. I must say it wasn't that bad until episode 14.

Did you consider episode 15 to compensate for such drudgery? I hold that my perseverance was duly, and indeed quite spectacularly, rewarded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I do agree episode 15 is what makes the series. It was a very strong ending and I am glad I persevered through episode 14 to make it there. As a stand alone OVA episode 15 was excellent, spoiler[Although I thought Sakura's death was all too brief,] but I didn't feel it was strong enough to carry the entire series for me. Still glad I bought the series overall, it wasn't money wasted.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
When does Welcome to the NHK hit its stride? RIght now it's kind of mellowing for me at a rapid fire pace. And dear god don't ever buy SAVE edition DVD's. These DVD's look like ass. I've burned discs that look better than this. It looks like those youtube FUNImation streaming in 360p. This is excusable on youtube but not on a disc, have some pride in your products regardless of the price.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
When does Welcome to the NHK hit its stride?...

It all depends on how engaging you find Misaki and Satou. The series is at its best when they're bouncing of each other. If they leave you cold then it won't get better. If you like them, things improve when the story concentrates on them in the latter part of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It was an explosive finale but I just finished all of Gundam 00, the first and second seasons.

Lately, the most recent Gundam series, SEED and 00 in particular, ends the series with a big bang, literally. Huge space battles, superweapons, final upgrades to all machines, and a gratuitous amount of "IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZER" every two seconds. Man, I love the Gundam series. I can look past the FIRIN' LAZERS, obvious use of stock footage, and fast-paced action scenes. Sometimes there are too many events happening at once to put on the screen.

But one issue just irks me, why the hell do the Innovators have such stupid names?! Come on, the main antagonist's name is Ribbons! IT sure sounds like a powerful and scary name, Ribbons.

The last couple of episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Second Season were very flashy and had a lot of pretty purple explosions. Is purple the new explosion color?

Every time the antagonists reveals a new machine and/or technology, I would shout out "HAX!" Let's see here, Celestial Being and their Gundams have the original designs for the GN Drives, Trans-Am System, and Twin Drive System.

Over the course of the series, this technological advantage is quickly lost as the Innovators have secretly developed their pseudo GN Drive-based technologies. It was such a "haxxy" moment when Mr. Bushido spoiler[activates the Trans-Am on his highly customized Masurao]. Another "haxxy" moment was when Ribbons Almark spoiler[reveals his Twin Drive System powered with two pseudo-solar reactors on his Reborns Gundam].

I am surprised to see how fleshed out the world is through the Gundam series' signature political thriller scenes. It goes to show that even in the future, bureaucracies are easy to manipulate. There is always corruption and it just seemed natural to see underground anti-government groups naturally formed to combat this abuse of power.

I'd have to say that Gundam 00 is easily makes it to my list of top Gundam series. I am so excited to see that Bandai Entertainment has the movie. Now, it is a waiting game for the Gundam 00 movie.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyways, I don't ususally talk about shows I'm not done with, but I'm 6 episodes into Tears to Tiara and am greatly disappointed.

Quote:
I'm gonna stick with it because it's getting better, but I am not a happy camper. I wanted a fantasy adventure, not Ranma 1/2 with Irish accents.

Well, it got better. A lot better actually. It seems like episode 7 is the exact episode it hit it's stride. It's still only a slightly above average show, but it's not the big piece of harem poo I thought it was. I think it would've done itself some huge favors by dumping the whole "gather woman to be my wives" aspect of it. I will say, though, that even though he had three (technically four) females around him, they stopped being mindless bimbos and became pretty interesting characters...well, Morgan and Riannon did, at least. Llyr was useless and was probably there because the Cow Milk -> Jizz jokes were easy to use on her.

Another thing that bugged me, but isn't really the fault of the show, is that Matt Greenfield had to be off his rocker. Really? You didn't know Rathy was a girl? I'll be honest, I knew going in that they made that mistake, but I thought the character would be a bit more androgynous. However, Rathy is CLEARLY a girl. She looks like a girl, sounds like a girl (and not a girl doing a boy ala Romi Paku and Ed Elric), acts like a girl (how many boys blush like that?), and, to top of the obviousness, she has a huge set of cat ears on her head. Honestly, if he was unsure about her gender, I don't get how he'd lean towards boy over girl, because there is nothing boyish about her.

Also, why would you give Illich Guardiola a lead role, especially a character that should have spoken clear English and with a slightly noble tone? He's an alright actor, but his Honduran accent is so thick that it's distracting. I'm just happy they didn't go for an Irish accent with him like they did with *gulp* Cynthia Martinez. Seriously the only role where I think she's not annoying is Lina Inverse, and she's also the reason why I'm hesitant on buying Kaleido Star. I was happy to hear Chris Patton, though, because I thought he'd left the game for good.

Overall, though, it started out like crap, but became pretty decent. I'm not going to sell it immediately like I thought I was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm just happy they didn't go for an Irish accent with him like they did with *gulp* Cynthia Martinez. Seriously the only role where I think she's not annoying is Lina Inverse, and she's also the reason why I'm hesitant on buying Kaleido Star.

This is a bit off-topic, but don't let that stop you from watching Kaleido Star! I'm a bit biased since I actually really like Cynthia, but I think Kaleido Star is one of her best roles, and the show is awesome. The Japanese track has a great cast, too, so if you can't stand the dub you can still watch the sub.

Quote:
I was happy to hear Chris Patton, though, because I thought he'd left the game for good.

As far as I know, he has retired from anime dubs--he at least said as much at NDK last year (2010). I guess that show was one of the last ones he was cast in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a bit off-topic, but don't let that stop you from watching Kaleido Star! I'm a bit biased since I actually really like Cynthia, but I think Kaleido Star is one of her best roles, and the show is awesome. The Japanese track has a great cast, too, so if you can't stand the dub you can still watch the sub.

I know I can switch the audio, and I have in extreme cases, but I don't like it. It's weird because I started out my anime fandom watch mostly fansubs, so I was used to it, but once I started actually buying anime, I turned almost exclusively to dubs, and now watching something subbed just feels weird. For me, to switch from dub to sub, it has to be a really horrible dub, and one actor alone isn't enough to make me want to switch (unless it's Sarah Strange and Ranma 1/2).

Also, it's not like Cynthia is really holding me back. Sure, I groaned when I saw a trailer for it and it used dub clips, but the big reason why I haven't bought Kaledio Star is that it just doesn't sound interesting. Funimation can throw around the fact that the director did both Princess Tutu and Sailor Moon (two shows I love) all they want, but they can't make me interested in the premise of the show. I've learned my lesson that watching a show because of a good rap sheet, despite me not initially being interested by it, is a bad idea.

-----------------------------------------

And while I'm making another post, I have a question about Tears to Tiara that's been bugging me. It's a little spoilerish, so you shouldn't read it if you haven't watched the show or played the game.

spoiler[How can Riannon and Arthur be decedents of both Pwills and Primula? If he's the Elf King and she's the first intelligent human, how do they both pass on genes to those two? And how does Arthur have no traits of Primula (no magic ability), but Riannon has traits of Pwills (I believe that's mentioned somewhere, perhaps during Gaius' seige)? I just don't get how that gene pool mixed.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 535 of 1062