• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:09 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Words can't explain how brilliant Todo's imagination scene was.

What is not to love about a guy who unapologetically wears a pendant of his bro and oshi, and will beat up one of the anime's worst character with that love.

The guy is super cool because he has like a duality manliness and a soft almost girlier side with how he was shown in the imagine spots. Oh, I think that I might have just had some realisation of why he appeals to me.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:23 pm Reply with quote
ep. 45 [pending]
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 am Reply with quote
46:

I find it only apt that the person who originally influenced Geto is the one who makes a grand comeback.

I wonder what actually transpired between Mei Mei and Geto when they met up in the tunnel. Doesn't particularly surprise me that she bailed out; her motive has been pure self-interest. Of course, I wonder who is the one on the other side of the call.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 47 (season 2 finale)

This last episode is a rather interesting type. About 10 minutes in the bad guy has apparently unleashed a kind of hell of a bunch of people becoming like Yuji, which he thinks will fight each other, following him seeming to unleash a hell of cursed spirits onto the world. The majority of the rest of the episode continuously swaps between random people, politicians and sorcerer higher ups, all before dawn. Random people going about the business before many just randomly killed, politicians trying to quickly fix a power vacuum to prepare for an evacuation of Tokyo as soon as they effectively can, and even the sorcerers seem to come to a conclusion is they will have to make cursed spirits known.

Before the end we are given several big decisions for the sorcerer community. Obviously Yuji has had his death sentence to be carried out immediately, being reminded several times of the giant hole that was caused by his body. Even further looks like they have placed some blame on Gojo, which I take it was his fault that Yuji was allowed to live, and no one is apparently even allowed to try and release him.

My rating for the sequel season will be Good (7/10), it had some highlights, and some low parts.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:08 am Reply with quote
Final:

Just when I thought this arc would end in a bang, it ended with a whimper instead.

It's actually very difficult for me to grade this show, but if I have to, I will give it an 8/10. It is one of MAPPA's most high-profile productions in recent times (perhaps of all time, even), and to call the arc "eventful" would be an understatement in more ways than one.

I don't think it's possible to discuss JJK: Shibuya Incident alone without discussing MAPPA as well. The studio has been taking up all the big shows lately, from Vinland Saga to Attack on Titan to Chainsaw Man, and JJK is one of the big names on their plate. When all these shows are happening at the same time, you know that something's gonna give.

That happened when AoT's grand finale came out at the same time as one of Shibuya Incident's highest moments (I remembered it was Sukuna VS Jogo, and then Sukuna VS Mahoraga). AoT's grand finale was spectacular at the expense of JJK's two most anticipated fights. That must have hurt a lot. I understand MAPPA's grand ambitions but I hope they fix their schedule better for future projects; their animators can only take so much.

The Shibuya Arc was one hell of a rollercoaster ride, no matter how I see it. It was when sh*t really hit the fan for the series, and I have to admit: I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were many ups and a number of downs, but in overall, I don't think I've watched any arc quite as grand in scale as this one. The two main letdowns is (like I mentioned) the dip in production values that one point, and the many questions that are left unanswered:

So what happened to Megumi and Kugisaki? Is Maki really dead? What happened when Mei Mei met up with Geto at the subway tunnel? What does Choso mean when he says Itadori is his brother? Who is Uraume (she was originally at Sukuna's service, so why is she serving Geto eventually)? Who is "Noritoshi Kamo"?

^these are just some of them btw

So the next arc is apparently called "Culling Game" (Hunger Games, much?). I think we can imagine what kind of pandemonium we can expect for that. MAPPA should get ready for what they're in for, especially when it's scheduled for Summer 2024, which is just two seasons away.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:43 pm Reply with quote
This season has taught me that while I like battle anime, I like there to be a bit of calm/fun/whatever to break things up. The first season had those moments and because of that I liked it a lot. Season two is balls to the walls action for 95% of it and once it gets going it does not really let up until the end. Due to that I started feeling less invested since each fight would immediately be followed up by another. The same goes for character deaths, the first one/shock is memorable, but do several of them in a row and you end up feeling nothing pretty fast, you become numb.

All that said, I give kudos to the sheer display of glorious brutality that the season provided, I am just unsure if I should check in for another season.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:32 am Reply with quote
#46-47

Jujutsu Kaisen's creator has shown time and again he's not afraid to overturn expectations and bring about unexpected results from action set pieces. He's done it multiple times in the first season's adaptation, and it's more obvious in the second season because of the sheer number of duels on display. Just as it looks like Itadori and Todou get their hard-earned pyrrhic victory, along comes (Fake) Geto to steal everyone's thunder and promptly progress his own scheme to its complete conclusion.

It's not all doom and gloom for the sorcerers despite being on the back foot for the entirety of the Shibuya arc; at least they have a name to attach to the brain controlling Geto's body thanks to Chousou and the next course of action is clear now that a large chunk of Japan is reduced to killing each other in line with (Fake) Geto's vision of a brief restoration of Japan back to the Heian period when the Arts were at their peak and demons were everywhere.

Tsukumo once again reappears, after her last appearance playing a pivotal role in convincing Geto Suguru back then to pursue his intended course of action of ridding the world of non-sorcerers. She didn't get much airtime back then, and her eventual role in turning Geto down his path initially led me to believe she was just as nihilistic as he was. Turns out it wasn't quite as simple as that, and her regret at how events have turned out was somewhat of a surprise.

Regardless, she's not able to prevent his escape with the prison realm and cannot do much more than evacuate the multiple wounded for treatment. Maybe not the last casual viewers see of her, since the next arc has already been announced and this franchise at the very least gets an additional quarter of adaptation.

The aftermath is interesting: the powers that be finally have Gojou Satoru out of their hair and as promised earlier in the season the power balance has tilted heavily against those Gojou and his dependents. Not only is Itadori now a hunted fugitive, he even has Okkotsu Yuuta with a mysteriously restored Rika after him as the designate executioner. Okkotsu might have his own reasons for hunting Itadori; since he himself was also under the same stay of execution Itadori was.

The pair of them might clash, or they might end up working together to get Gojou out of his prison realm. There were a lot of casualties in this arc, and what happens to them in the aftermath isn't mentioned. The next adaptation will hopefully clear some of these questions and more, before another expected orgy of duels is set on viewers.

The production gained too much notoriety for the price exacted on the animators to deliver on their end product in the limited time and resources provided. There's plenty of chatter online about how Mappa are killing their golden goose with their management methods, and it would truly be a shame if short-sighted focus on just getting the result out whatever the cost ends up ruining the adaptation. There have been moments when the final product is uneven in its polish, but overall in terms of animation quality this franchise has to be up there in terms of the visual imagery on offer compared to its competitors.

[EDIT: Paragraph breaks added, condescension removed. -TK]
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:17 am Reply with quote
You know, to each their own Harleyquin, but I do have to ask you one thing. You say that you see the website reviews as the origin/spawner of echo chambers, you are probably not wrong about that. At the same time you say that you would prefer a quiet(er) thread and you have a history as stating your opinions as if they are fact while being dismissive/belligerent towards people not agreeing with you. Is wanting less people in a thread, especially when they have views you do not agree with while continuing to state your own opinion acting like it is fact and wanting people to agree with you not the very definition of an echo chamber?

Again, to each their own, but you have the weird habit of wanting less discussion on a forum that was made to have discussions, unless those discussions are completely in line with what you see as the truth, thus making you the one very much wanting echo chambers without anything that you might disagree with. We sometimes disagree, yet you do not see me commenting that this forum would be better off without you in it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:28 am Reply with quote
I've actually stopped reading Harleyquin's posts. He's just too obnoxious and no ANN moderator is reining him in. He really should be put on post moderation because he lacks the temperment to mitigate his provocative commentary but Tony has infinite patience with him and Tony seems to be the only moderator in town, at least in the Series Discussion Forum. It's too bad because I often found Harleyquin's summaries, insights and knowledge of Japanese language and history to be useful, but the downside of his attitude simply isn't worth it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
It is just such a weird take, the whole point of a forum/discussion board is to have all kinds of different opinions. Sure, sometimes views clash, but the fun part is discussing the anime that people love or feel strongly about in some other way. Having everyone always agree would not make for much discussion, that would be a true echo chamber and would resemble a blog more than anything.

I agree with you Blood, it is such a pity that someone who often has unique insight and plenty of knowledge chooses to be so hostile about discussions on a discussion board. It won't stop me from discussing a lot though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Another typically inept hot take from smurky turkey! Hee hee hee... I kid, I kid. You have been a very welcome addition to our weird little playpen here, smurk.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
He really should be put on post moderation because he lacks the temperment to mitigate his provocative commentary but Tony has infinite patience with him and Tony seems to be the only moderator in town, at least in the Series Discussion Forum.

Yeah, I have enough Moderated Talkback posts to approve on weekends, mostly from users who I don't even remember why they were put on Moderation to begin with, anymore, while also trying to relax or catch up on some kind of media (anime, live-action shows/movie, and video games) on Saturdays, then also do my weekly laundry on Sundays.

I have access to the site from my work computer all day on weekdays, but we've got somewhat of a deadline for new mobile apps, and I've been putting a little overtime in, which is why I haven't been pumping out new discussion threads for Winter '24 as fast.

As for Harleyquin's posts, I feel their condescension are mere drops in the bucket compared to some of the contentious twits I kept seeing in Talkback throughout the years. And at this rate, it's really just a matter of taking some comments out to change the entire tone of the post. So y'all just report it when you see it, and I'll take care of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that your already heavy workload around here has to be increased, Tony K. For me, it's moot since I'm simply not reading his posts any more. Problem solved!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
On my part I want this forum to grow posters/people/discussions wise since it is a welcoming place where anime can be calmly discussed without it devolving into a shitshow, which is more of a rarity than you might think. Thus a poster actively wanting less people to post/discuss and being an ass at times is not really helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14