• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waifu / Hasubando Swap: who ya' got?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:14 pm Reply with quote
It is currently the week of July the fourth and there will be a few days off where I won't be able to communicate so I figured I'd throw out a fun little idea and see if it takes.

I love the concept of a waifu and definitely have my favorites. Hands down, mine would have to be Tamaki from Fire Force. However my exposure to Anime has been stunted and I am sure there are probably scores more out there that are just as worthy of the designation.

So I am looking for any candidates who could fill the role. Do you have a favorite that you'd recommended?

What are the qualities that you admire most in your waifu (or even husbando) characters? Is it the looks, personality, or back story? Maybe they remind you of someone IRL or they are the romantic counterpart to a favorite character.

I offer Tamaki for my waifu swap, she is a sweetheart, loyal to her friends and a powerful fighter. Her twin tails not only add to her kawai factor but when she powers up and that motif carries over to her two tailed fire cat mode it just demonstrates some great character design.

I can't think of any other culture that has such an amazing fandom that allows concepts like these to even exist. Anime is great.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun Fourth of July and if you are in another country well. . . happy Tuesday I guess, hope its a good one.

[EDIT: Spruced up the thread title. -TK]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:51 am Reply with quote
My current Platonic waifu (I say platonic because although I find her adorable, there's no "rowr" factor as is often the case with waifus) is Elda from Otaku Elf which just came out in the Spring season. One of the big reasons I find her so appealing is the job her seiyuu, Ami Koshimizu, did. Her soft, stammering delivery was absolutely perfect for the Elda character. And how can you not love a female who loves drinking Red Bull, staying up late playing games, collecting "cool" toys like the Golden Frog Panzer, watching anime and reading manga? And then, of course, there are those cute elf ears which unfortunately Elda is sensitive about.

Another Platonic waifu for me (no "rowr" factor) is Hitagi Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari. Oddly, I like her for almost the exact opposite reasons I like Elda. Whereas Elda is soft, gentle and kind, Senjougahara is famously all sharp angles, violence and verbal abuse. But she makes it work! I won't soon forget that image of her shoving a stapler in Araragi's mouth. Or lines like when she comes across him in a park and says, "I thought I smelled a dead dog but it's just you, Araragi." Yep, definitely the anti-Elda, but special in her own way.

When it comes to "Rowr" waifus, there's almost too many to count for me. However, a few stand out in my mind. There's Shimei Ryomou from Ikki Tousen, a hot chick with short, blue hair who could kick your ass and Cleopatra-themed Menace from Queen's Blade who, besides being totally sexy with a skimpy costume, has an awesome name. It's no coincidence that both have short hair which is a favourite of mine irl.

In honourable mention, I have to cite Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail and if I mention her, I may as well mention her virtual twin, Rebecca Bluegarden from Edens Zero. Cut from the same mold both physically (bouncy blondes with a penchant for short skirts) and personality wise (big-hearted and loyal, occasionally exasperated by boneheaded men in their orbit).

If I think of others, I may pop back in.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Elda from Otaku Elf which just came out in the Spring season. One of the big reasons I find her so appealing is the job her seiyuu, Ami Koshimizu, did. Her soft, stammering delivery was absolutely perfect for the Elda character.

I could definitely listen to her telling me some historical trivia all day. Oddly I really like when she says Koito, her shrine maiden's name. Something about her delivery of that name is just particularly soothing to listen to and somehow I really like the name Koito.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I could definitely listen to her telling me some historical trivia all day. Oddly I really like when she says Koito, her shrine maiden's name. Something about her delivery of that name is just particularly soothing to listen to and somehow I really like the name Koito.

Hell, I could listen to hear sneeze for hours on end!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see there are other posters with superb taste around here! Wink
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:44 am Reply with quote
I cannot stand loli or moe characters.

Any waifu candidate has to have their own personality and motivations. Simpering waifs need not apply. If one’s partner doesn’t challenge you with their own opinions Rhenish you might as well just get a dog and a blow up doll. Easy and complaint May be fun at first but it lacks personality and challenge to sustain the interest.

So definitely someone who has a strong will, can kick some ass, and who has a fierceness and independence about them.

That’s why I think Ikumi Mito from Food Wars fits the bill. She’s skilled, competitive and wields a cleaver. Aside from cooking a great meal she’s hot and kicks ass. And she wouldn’t be anyone’s doormat.

That’s a real waifu. One you’d respect and not get tired off after a few weeks/months.

The others deserving thought are Saeko from High School of the Dead and Marin from My Dress Up Darling who defines the manic pixie dream girl.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
Let me translate the gist of InfiniteJest's post above:

"I like 'em meaty, beaty, big and bouncy!"

I jest, I jest!!! Wink
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd say fully formed feminine, maybe even voluptuous or curvy rather than meaty or Big.

I am good with 5'1=5'8 tall as long as they look over 21.

Template examples:

Salma Hayek
Ming-Na Wen
Gal Gadot
Ana De Armas

If they look anywhere in that range then gtg.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ain't nuthin' wrong with your eyesight, InfiniteJest. That's a fine list.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought this thread would get more traction. hmm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1