• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Quote:
Is Kenshin not an option for the streaming reviews?

Possible compromise: Kenshin review but it’s just a discussion of Watsuki’s crimes every week.

Maybe we could skip Kenshin this season and just have a recurring discussion about why purchasing CP is immoral, since some Watsuki defenders don't seem to grasp that part.
moozooh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:07 am Reply with quote
Or maybe we could draw less attention to Watsuki altogether because so far he's only been benefitting from it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:04 am Reply with quote
Is there an ANN entry for Link Click? Just kind of got random unrelated results when I searched for it, but I was curious what it is, given I'd never heard of it and it's already in Season 2.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:01 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Is there an ANN entry for Link Click? Just kind of got random unrelated results when I searched for it, but I was curious what it is, given I'd never heard of it and it's already in Season 2.

It's Chinese animation, and ANN typically hasn't had entries for those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:58 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Dayraven wrote:
Quote:

Possible compromise: Kenshin review but it’s just a discussion of Watsuki’s crimes every week.

Maybe we could skip Kenshin this season and just have a recurring discussion about why purchasing CP is immoral, since some Watsuki defenders don't seem to grasp that part.

I hope you’re not implying that OP is defending any gross crimes. All they did was ask politely if something wouldn’t be reviewed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Been a bit distracted moving between apartments during this ANN guide, but got the relevant PC up-and-running, and it seems like the guide is basically complete, so thought I'd generate some graphs/images summarizing it again. Fair warning -- I've been busy and have done basically 0 quality checking here; the images all look reasonable, but if something subtle is wrong in them I could have missed it.

Also, as usual, only posting this assuming it's still OK with the ANN leadership. Lastly, not doing the versions without Community Score # 1; it is always counted as a "reviewer"; otherwise, settings are I believe the same as in my last images post on the prior ANN preview thread .

Anyway! Images:

Median Scores bar plots:

Original size: https://imgur.com/Xs22oTm.png

All Scores by Show, Points Only (strip plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/Zpdxg3n.png

All Scores by Show, Boxes (strip+box plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/SyfPxZ8.png

Reviewer Scores (swarm plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/5NP2yCd.png
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching episode 1 of Synduality Noir and is it just me or are the Hulu subs badly timed for anyone else? I swear these are dubtitles.
Uchay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I hope Helck pans out well and catches a few eyes! The manga was an incredibly fun and hearfelt journey. I do wish Vermillion didn't shriek as much, but I guess that was how she was at the start of the manga, and I just didn't get to hear her shouting before.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
flamemasterelan wrote:
Dayraven wrote:
Quote:

I hope you’re not implying that OP is defending any gross crimes. All they did was ask politely if something wouldn’t be reviewed.

Given we're halfway into July and its completely omitted from the preview guide, I think its a pretty safe assumption that none of the reviewers are comfortable reviewing it.
spacedin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Good news: a lot more series this season than we have seen recently. Maybe the industry has finally gotten past the pandemic.
Bad news: based on the reviews, quality doesn't correlate with quantity. But TBF, we weren't getting that many classics when fewer series were being aired either.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:47 am Reply with quote
I was looking forwards to this season but I might actually end up watching less shows than last.

So many bland or disappointing early episodes, I already have 6 shows on "3-episode" drop-watch and am already down to single figures for shows I look forwards to viewing each week.

At this rate I might have to pick up RAG s3 as a "hate watch" just so I have a decent number of shows left.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

No, I wasn't. My response was aimed at Dayraven, and building off of his suggestion of a weekly discussion of Watsuki's crimes. There are way too many Watsuki defenders who don't understand the actual harm caused by purchasing CP. "He didn't direct it himself" was literally a defense used in these forums before I posted that response.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, crud -- My Happy Marriage really is very good, eh? And here I was planning on letting my Netflix sub expire again. Hmmm... Shocked
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:41 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Oh, crud -- My Happy Marriage really is very good, eh? And here I was planning on letting my Netflix sub expire again. Hmmm... Shocked

It’s really good. I’ve read the first three novels and it’s just a lovely story. Stick with that Netflix subscription, you won’t regret it! Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh, just a note to those that gave up on it:
The second episode of Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence actually threw in a bunch more back story and context that reeeally should have been at least hinted at in the first episode.

One thing, as all reviewers almost uniformly criticized it for, the second episode takes it more into a fantasy version of a "church" apart from "haha, this doesn't seem very catholic." it goes more into that demons, angel, fairies and spirits are all around- saints really are those to protect others from them.

...And Lawren actually needs some extra protection.

Now, I still expect it to mainly be a cutesy show of a couple dimwits blushing in each other's vicinity-- but hey- at least there is a little something extra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17