• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moral RELATIVISM of Togashi, Miyazaki and others

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:11 am Reply with quote
By the end of Yu Yu Hakusho, basically every murderous genocidal maniac and torturer turned out to be kind of a good guy, which is an exaggerated version of what Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli was doing sometimes, and well as many other authors of manga/anime.

Generally, I am not for enemies that are badly evil and evilly bad due to them being bad and evil, and also because they are evil and bad. There has to be a logical motive, unless the enemy is some ancient prime evil -- almost a philosophical concept rather than a character.

In the case of YYH, however, it goes kind of overboard.

When I was watching it, I was like, "Really? THIS one is a goody now, too? LOL".

What are other examples of this trend exerted to this absolutely ridiculous level?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:01 am Reply with quote
It's hard for me to get invested in shounen shows. I am seriously dating myself here; but I remember in (elementary) school when fanatics of Naruto were derided as "Narutards".
sharkticon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it can get annoying. To quote one Demon Slayer parody/summary, "yeah, that's sad, but you eat people."

You might find IDW's Transformers run interesting. They do a very interesting subversion of this trope, that ends with the arch villain who goes on a redemption arc concluding it by agreeing that he needs to be put to death, or be imprisoned for eternity.

'What ever my fate, I deserve worse."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1