• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade of the Immortal (TV 2019).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:06 am Reply with quote

Blade of the Immortal (TV 2019)

Genres: action, drama
Themes: assassins, gore, historical, revenge, samurai, swordplay, tragedy

Plot Summary: Manji is an amoral swordsman, who has been cursed with eternal life. He has grown tired of living with all the death he has created. He has no skills other then those of killing, thus he forms a plan to regain his mortality: he shall kill one hundred evil men for each good one he has killed. The old witch who afflicted Manji with immortality agrees to Manji's proposition and Manji is set on his path to kill one thousand evil men.

On his journey he meets a young girl, Rin, who has her own vengeance to seek against the sword school whose members slaughtered her family. Rin and Manji journey together, each hoping to find some kind of peace.

(Streaming on Amazon Prime)
----------------------------------

Have always wanted to read the manga for this, as I hear it's pretty awesome. I mean, samurai period pieces are a renowned genre for a reason. Never saw the first anime, though I may check it out just for the fact that Tomokazu Seki (one of my favorite voice actors) played Manji.

I feel like this is a famous enough franchise that I should probably review it at some point. The manga had been done for a while, so hopefully this adapted the whole thing fairly well.

Took the plot summary from the Manga entry and did a little editing because the Anime one sounded weird and Engrish-y. Will add genre and theme tags after I finish watching it.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:28 am Reply with quote
Anyone seen both and could tell how they are different, I just finished and really enjoyed... (enjoyed?) the 2019 one, although I must say I was unprepared for the amount of gore it included, it's been years since I last watched something that features so many scenes of dismembering and gruesome deaths. You know when you watch a show and everyone is a bit despicable and deserve what is coming, but then you do feel sorry for them, eben though tecnically you shouldn't? This was it.

Nevertheless, a good watch, and I liked the ending, somehow seemed fitting.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:58 am Reply with quote
"Boom. You lookin' for this?"

Made a new thread out of an old deleted post of mine in response to Unicorn_Blade not being able to find one for the 2019 version of the show.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
"Boom. You lookin' for this?"

Made a new thread out of an old deleted post of mine in response to Unicorn_Blade not being able to find one for the 2019 version of the show.

Thank you!
Seems this really was not very popular, shame, as it's a very solid title.

It seems the first episode summarises a lot from the previous installement in the first episode, but that's as far as I read about the differences.

The immortal Manji meets Rin in the first episode- the girls is on a path to avenge her family and her father's dojo massacred by a gang called Ittoryu 2 years prior, and needs a bodyguard to help her see this through.

The gore is abundant and there are more limbs severed from the bodies that one could count. Solid plot, well developped, although, as I said, very brutal.
Some bits were not that clear to me, but I must say not sure if I would really like to rewatch the whole thing again to get that clarity Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1