• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galaxy Express 999

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
shoebox wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Yea, Geneon is now the distributor for Toei's DVDs. Basically anything in Toei's archive could get put on US DVD. So for they relesaed Slam Dunk! and Air Master, so I think our chances are alot better than they once were.

yup, i think so too! maybe we should just sit around and start hoping... or should we put up a petition and e-mail them or something? Twisted Evil

If you really want it to happen, you need to write letters, perhaps handwritten, and make phone calls. Online petitions and e-mails won't do much.
shoebox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

If you really want it to happen, you need to write letters, perhaps handwritten, and make phone calls. Online petitions and e-mails won't do much.

darn! i don't live in America, which makes it too expensive for long distance phone calls and letters.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:56 am Reply with quote
There is a cable company in Hawaii called NGN (Nippon Golden Network) which aired the entire series subtitled in the 90s. The series has some of the most depressing episodes in anime history. The show which reminds me most of Ginga Testsudo would be Kino's. There is a very similar atmosphere between these two series. NGN also aired all of the Hokuto No Ken episodes!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is funny that we've received practically everything Harlock related in the states EXCEPT the original Harlock and Galaxy Express series.

Yea, we did but it was in the era of Robotech, and edited by Carl Mackek. I think it was shown back to back with Robotech in some venues. However, noone has come to the conclusion that Robotech fans may also want to buy this show. But theres plenty more Matsumoto stuff we don't have. Theres SSX, Starzinger, Queen Millenia, and Danguard. All tv series of considerable length, not to mention spinoff movies. And its a crying shame The Cockpit still isn't on DVD.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
Actually, we got original Harlock and Queen Millennia edited together into one show, as Captain Harlock and the Queen of One Thousand Years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I was just mentioning this the other day that I was wishing to get the movies on DVD somehow. Looks like I might be stuck importing them becuase they are honestly too great to not have in any fan's collection.

Currently, there is a fansub group subtitling both the Galaxy Express TV series and Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Harlock TV, so it's not completely inaccessable.

I remember seeing parts of the Harlock dubs and Harlock and Queen of 1000 Years (which I think is the title of another Harlock spinoff). Oh man, it was horribly written on top of the timing being off.

shoebox wrote:
Just found a place which sells the DVDsfor the TV series! Original japanese dvds without any subtitles, 29 boxsets, each going for 3800 yen.

Those are simply a disc with 3 (maybe the occasional 4) episodes on them. I thought 40 bucks was too good to be true for a Japanese boxset. Even still, it's a steal for that much for a disc.
shoebox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

Those are simply a disc with 3 (maybe the occasional 4) episodes on them. I thought 40 bucks was too good to be true for a Japanese boxset. Even still, it's a steal for that much for a disc.

Actually, it's not really a steal. With USD$40 (approx) per box, it'll come up to $1160 just for the TV series!

*Sees moths flying out from the wallet*
Spazer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
But theres plenty more Matsumoto stuff we don't have. Theres SSX, Starzinger, Queen Millenia, and Danguard.

You did get Starzinger in the states titled Spacketeers, but that version is better left forgotten since the editing/cut and change of the story is so horrifyingly bad that it'll give you nightmares.
Spaceketeers also got one of the most horrible dubs in the history animédubbing.
My encounter with that version of Starzinger made me realise even more how brilliant the editing of Starblazers really is.

Last edited by Spazer on Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
shoebox wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:

Actually, it's not really a steal. With USD$40 (approx) per box, it'll come up to $1160 just for the TV series!

*Sees moths flying out from the wallet*

And considering that most Japanese DVDs retail about sixty dollars, you're saving a third right off the bat. That's a discount.

Sure it's expensive, but so are some of the other DVD sets I'm thinking about buying from Japan, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2