• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira (movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
I liked Akira, thought I think I'd need to see it again to catch some little bits here and there.
But for all the hype that it got, I was definately expecting something more...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
Akira...Ghost in the Shell...Vampire Hunter D...Ninja Scroll...all major let downs for me.

I saw most of these movies before viewing any anime other than what was already in the US at the time. Robotech, Gundam Wing, DBZ, Sailor moon, Ronin Warriors and that was pretty much all I had seen. I didn't think any of those movies deserved any of the hype they had. I think the biggest reason any of them were big at all is because they had little competition and they were all adult. A children's anime movie wouldn't have done so well back then because people didn't want to watch a "children's anime", there was always disney for that, they wanted to see "hardcore adult weird action anime". Now that there is plenty of that kind of anime, people seem more open to other not so adult anime.

I don't think any of them were exactly bad but I could hardly see what the big deal was. Thank god after watching just the movie GiTS:SAC definitely did not let me down and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was quite a bit better than the original too.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
According to the folks at Absolut Vodka Akira is the absolute anime. They used a scene from Akira in one of their commercials and called it the absolute anime. My personal favorite would be Princess Mononoke.
TranquilSlogan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
No way! There are so many other titles that appeal to a more sane audience. Sure it was new for its time and sure it had great animation but it absolutely is not even in my top 10.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
When I walked out of the movie theatres after having seen Akira, and Ghost in the Shell, I was just spellbound. After having seen them a second time, I wasn't so thrilled.
I am still thrilled about GITS, SAC, however. I think it would make it on US primetime, were it live-action. You could try it as is, I think it is that good a show. I believe that if you had the anime, and a live action show that were identical, the anime would lose out in America. I think it is just the fear of the unknown, and waiting for it to be cartoony.
Sensei-roh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote
does anyone else here completely hate the new english dubbing of akira they did for the dvd version.

to me, it's just awfull. i ussually watch my anime in japanese, but there are some anime i think work better with english dubbing, like vampire hunter d bloodlust, or princess mononoke. and akira was one of those too, at least with it's original english dubbing like on the vhs. but i played my vhs of akira so many time that it's quite ruined now...

the origanal voice acting and dialogue, to me, was much better because the actor's gave a lot more of themselves. example, when tetsuo steals kaneda's bike and kaneda and the gang catches up with him. there's a moment when tetsuo first gets visions and hears the sound of one of the kids screaming: akiraaa! that sound shocked me to the bone in the original englisch dub. now it sounds like some fat kid how's simply to dry to give a damn: akra, he sais it so fast, short and without emotion you kan hardly hear the i.

there are other examples that i can't think of right now. it's been a while since i saw it again it's just now that i've started looking for a dvd with the original english dub but so far no succes...

and then there's the dialogue, again i'm sorry to say i can't really think of any correct and exact examples. but overal i can say that the dialogue sounded much to artificial. where the original was much more everyday kinda slang, the new dub is sometimes simply way to imformative. it's like they're trying to explain the intire plot through dialogue which makes it so artificial, so 'made' so everyone can understand what's going on.. that is not a good thing... it doesn't sound like real teenagers anymore, they sound like a bunch of actors.

well anyway, i just wanted to see if anyone else feels the same way about this as i do. maybe anyone else can give another fine example of what i'm saying here. and offcourse, if anyone could tell if there is a dvd with the original dubbing on.

i really want the original dubbing back, i even wanna go so far as to take the dubbing of my vhs and edit it on the picture of the dvd (if that's even possible) and send it to manga to ask them to publish it again. or if anyone else wants to help me convince manga to publish it again in the original english version in another way, please, i'm all ears...
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote
The new dub script is much more accurate, and that greater accuracy does correct or clarify a few things that were either done wrong in the original dub script or were obfuscated by the the original script's choice of words. (The one that most immediately springs to mind is a reference to "level 6 pills" replacing the flat-out wrong "centrifuge on level 6" reference when the Doctor is talking about what to try out on Tetsuo when they're experimenting with him.) It also added captions for signs and graffiti that weren't originally there.

Beyond that, though, I agree with you. Although the children sounded more like children in the newer Pioneer/Geneon dub, the level of acting there and in several other roles was distinctly inferior to the original Streamline dub. The new script, while much more accurate, also sounded awkward.

That's a shame, because the visual quality is soooo much better on the newer rerelease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sensei-roh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The new script, while much more accurate, also sounded awkward.

that's because it is much to informative. yes, it might make things clearer and might be more accurate. but it all sounds to acted this way, awkward, artificial. that's why the original script is much better for me, because the choice of words sounds much better, more realistic. people don't call everithing by it's name (cops= policemen) the original dub was more realistic everyday conversations, not informative (this ruins it because the anime is trying to explain itself through words, a movie must explain itself through images) the way people talk should sound real, the reason that it sounded awkward means that it simply didn't sound like real life talk, it sounded like people reciting some text they had to learn by hart. (offcourse in the final acting they all missed the emotional hart of it!)
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Beyond that, though, I agree with you. Although the children sounded more like children in the newer Pioneer/Geneon dub, the level of acting there and in several other roles was distinctly inferior to the original Streamline dub. The new script, while much more accurate, also sounded awkward.

Why does everyone assume the subjects should sound like kids? They're old enough that their voices might have changed along with their wrinkled and discolored skin. That part of the Streamline release never bothered me.

I have to agree that the newer version clears up some script issues though. Simple things such as changing “Doctor, come quickly!” to “Doctor, the boy is gone!” (or something like that) make a big difference in understanding what's going on. Akira has so many cut-off sentences as it is, typically right when you think they're about to explain just what the hell is going on. The original Streamline version only made it worse by getting some of the details wrong and just leaving out random bits. Still, I would really like to have an LD > DVD copy of the original streamline version just the same.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually one of those people that liked the old dub, but liked the new one a lot better when I first moved here to the US and heard it.

Everything from the casting down to the mixing was just... a lot better (for me).

But then, this could be a fluke given that all the issues of awkward scripting that you guys talk about, I can actually hear this a lot better in GITS:SAC (since it probably has a lower budget and stuff).

Wait... the hell? Is Kevin Seymour really doing that? In any case, it's Animaze. And I'm saying that GITS:SAC has clunky-ass scripting and flow, especially in comparison to this, which most likely had a lot more money put into it (hence it just sounding better in my ears).

But, for the most part, I was actually very fond of the new Akira dub. The only thing I would wanna fix is... like, one line of delivery Joshua Seth made, but that's about it.

As for the highlights? Just watch the council meeting, it's hilarious.

And Johnny Yong Bosch is also extremely good here, especially the line:

"Show me where the friggin' baby room is."

But, this probably wouldn't be a problem if we only had ONE Akira dub (but then, I probably wouldn't have picked up the movie again given that I actually really liked it mainly because of the accuracy).

Who the hell played the original Kei though? Was it still Wendee Lee?
sykosteve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Akira's been rereleased again? I had no idea. I've got the version that came in a tin can...is that old dub or new dub?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
God Gundam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The "new" dub being discussed here is actually five years old. The original dub came out in 1989, one year after the film's release in Japan.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
BUT THEN, you can count on a new version of the movie (media) being released... I mean, given that those new movie-format things are out.

THOUGH, maybe, since the demand is so high, they'll shove BOTH dub tracks onto the new released...

You never know. And this way, both parties will be satisfied.
Sensei-roh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

THOUGH, maybe, since the demand is so high, they'll shove BOTH dub tracks onto the new released...

is the demand really so high? so i'm not the only one? and this new format you're talking about, you mean new dvd or blue ray and high definition?

i would really like to see that happen, no matter what the format.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm just making assumptions that a lot of people want the old dub back... but it could be that it's just that the people that want it back are vocal, but not many in number...

Yeah, I seem to forget this for some reason.

Sorry about that... but... yeah... who knows?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6