• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Anime Characters.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
Yamada and the Seven Witches
If a show could explore what would happen if you could exchange bodies with your classmates and just have fun doing it, this is it. Maybe that doesn't really relate much with being transgender but if you've ever been curious what it's like in the body of the opposite sex this show does it in a way that's cute and sincere. Most of what the characters probably do to satisfy their natural teen curiosities is done offscreen, or its really left to your own imagination (come on you know you'd do it). Onscreen the body switching is done for practical purposes like getting out of class, avoiding bathing and things like chores. And the 2 main characters and users of this ability (a boy and girl) seem to be more relaxed about it like the novelty wore off and its just a normal part of life. Actually, that sense of embarrassment you'd expect is oddly never an issue for anyone in the first place.

Overall their attitude about the body switching ability does remain at odds up until they stop using it. The boy saw it as more of a routine annoyance that he has to become female, but never really hesitated to help her out by switching. The girl seems to enjoy it more and is usually the one asking to borrow his body. Because of her interest in him but immature socializing ability, she sees becoming him as a catalyst to them growing closer emotionally and physically even though she can literally touch him intimately as much as she wants without him knowing. But again, that's the offscreen, leave to your imagination stuff with this show. Oh and did I forget to mention, in order to switch they have to spoiler[kiss]?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is there not a character in Cowboy Bebop that Faye sort of falls for and thinks he's male and turns out they are not? Maybe I just dreamed it. Have not see it for years and years. (Ok googled, not quite as I remember, as the character has developped breasts as a result of a drug).

The only one I could think of that people have not mentioned is a silly comedy I My Me Strawberry Eggs, where the main character dresses up as a female to get a job teaching, and then one of his female students start to fall for him thinking he is a woman. I would nto call it deep exploration of gender issues though.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote
Sorry can't comment much about Cowboy Bebop, very little about it was memorable for me. But I really think Edward is worth mentioning as a gender non-conforming character. Despite her crazy personality, she's seemingly flown under everyone's radar when it came to unconventional gender expression of the time. Or maybe it was because of being such an eccentric character.

Strawberry Eggs, however, was much more memorable for me. I would not place our protagonist as either trans or gender non-conforming, as he simply used his crossdressing as a means to get hired as a teacher. But this sets up an interesting dynamic with the character mentioned. I think it's better to say she falls for him despite thinking he is a woman. She hasn't been attracted to any women before and the fact that her crush is a teacher (an adult) it adds to her conflicting and confusing feelings.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
With Radical Edward from Cowboy Bebop, I seem to recall something from a few years ago that pointed towards as language of gender has evolved since the show, that she/they would probably fit under non-binary. There was something about Ed being written to transcend gender, and aspects like Ed's general androgyny and a masculine chosen name.

My other memory of some gender aspect in Cowboy Bebop was I think something about a character getting a medical condition that affected their sex. I also seem to recall that some aspect was revisited in Carole and Tuesday with something called Martian Androgyny syndrome. What it did with Dahlia as someone suffering from it, I think there are mixed opinions, while someone like Desmond as an androgynous character was maybe received more positively.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
With Radical Edward from Cowboy Bebop, I seem to recall something from a few years ago that pointed towards as language of gender has evolved since the show, that she/they would probably fit under non-binary. There was something about Ed being written to transcend gender, and aspects like Ed's general androgyny and a masculine chosen name.
Also, wasn't it Ed's idiot father who chose a boy's name because he forgot or didn't realize she was born a girl?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Also, wasn't it Ed's idiot father who chose a boy's name because he forgot or didn't realize she was born a girl?

I seem to remember characters commenting on Ed's ridiculously long name and Ed saying they chose the name themselves. And their father, I don't quite remember whether Ed's father recognised the name, but he might have said something about not remembering if his child was a boy or girl, or most real anything else.

Regardless of the fact, Edward does not conform to the gender that would have been assigned to her/them.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

My other memory of some gender aspect in Cowboy Bebop was I think something about a character getting a medical condition that affected their sex.

I think we're talking about the same character- Gren, who after being subjected to some kind of treatment developped breasts.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Alestal wrote:
Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi is an interesting character because he/she seems to be a very gender fluid person. The specifics of his/her tastes are never really fully explained, but it is made clear that part of the reason is to pay homage to their late sister. The intent of presenting themselves as a woman is to let her memory "live on" through him. This part of the truth eventually comes to light, but Nuriko still remains a very "fluid" character and the entire psychology behind their beliefs is never fully explained (although... I have not read the manga).
Just a bit of editorial comment about this part of your post. I'm worried it may come off as a bit nitpicky but you said you were working on understanding things more: Please be more consistent with what gender you are referring to someone as, plus you used "he/she." Like, pick one and stick with it but especially avoid "he/she." I think if someone is presenting publicly as their preferred gender you can go with that pronoun (or if unsure use a gender neutral one).

I also wanted to say that Fushigi Yuugi is not just for teens. It's one of my all-time favorites, maybe it's a bit of a corny relic by today's standards but I wouldn't put it past anyone for enjoying it nonetheless regardless of age. Compared to other drama shows, none of them yanked on my heartstrings episode after episode quite as strongly as FY. And a major character that helped intensify that storytelling so well was Nuriko. Even before transgender was a thing in my mind, I always rooted for Nuriko to be the woman she was meant to be and found it really uplifting how readily most of the other main characters not just accepted but supported her. This was at a time when the average viewer would probably not be as supportive if they were in, say Tamahome's or Miaka's shoes. So in that sense, I think the anime was a bit ahead of it's time.
Well, I don't believe Nuriko's gender is ever proclaimed? Am I just supposed to assign them a gender so I can have a label for them? I'd typically use they/them pronouns if I came across this situation IRL, but we are talking about a fictional character... Nevertheless, thanks for the advice!

I agree that the show was ahead of it's time. As were the other works that I mentioned. It's been an interesting couple of decades for the queer community! Life imitates art and I strongly believe that the media helps shape our cultures.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Strawberry Eggs, however, was much more memorable for me. I would not place our protagonist as either trans or gender non-conforming, as he simply used his crossdressing as a means to get hired as a teacher. But this sets up an interesting dynamic with the character mentioned. I think it's better to say she falls for him despite thinking he is a woman. She hasn't been attracted to any women before and the fact that her crush is a teacher (an adult) it adds to her conflicting and confusing feelings.

Stories like this are, in fact, totally gender essentialist. They imply that even if someone is fully passing as the opposite gender, there's an immutable maleness (in this case) or femaleness (in the case of HanaKimi, Persona 4, and so on) that a person can never fully conceal. The person who falls for them usually has some kind of gay panic over their attraction, but in the end their heterosexuality is reaffirmed. I've seen it over and over and it's exhausting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Stories like this are, in fact, totally gender essentialist. They imply that even if someone is fully passing as the opposite gender, there's an immutable maleness (in this case) or femaleness (in the case of HanaKimi, Persona 4, and so on) that a person can never fully conceal. The person who falls for them usually has some kind of gay panic over their attraction, but in the end their heterosexuality is reaffirmed. I've seen it over and over and it's exhausting.

Yeah, there is a certain level of denying things like transgenderism when people can clock them, like that part in Maria Holic where the main character gets hives from touching the titular Maria like they do with men. There is always the possibility of maybe something rare where maybe a character was just presenting as their assigned gender but another character could see them for what they are, as much as that also probably runs the risk of some homophobia. Or what I consider a popular consensus with fans towards Disney's animated Mulan, where people take Li Shang as attracted to both Ping and Mulan. I guess that sets aside the never been attracted to someone of a certain gender thing.

Not that anime has great track records. It especially annoys me when a show might reveal a character's sex as 'opposite' of their presented gender, and then without really unpacking things it just has to throw that character into things like fanservice of their assigned gender. I have been a bit vocal over my distaste in how things were handled in the second season of How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, where a character was found out to have a female sex and then just started being called a girl and soon afterwards has their costume changed to a miniskirt without their input. The season also had a villainous character that apparently is transgender in the sense of feeling like a woman despite their body, but the show doesn't really portray them as anything but a effeminate man who is supposed to be uncomfortable for that reason.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:45 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:

It's a pretty old anime though, I mean, in 2001 the level of awareness of transgender issues in mainstream was much, much lower, and even in 2021 it is still a pretty polarising issue. You don't have m(any) anime that deal with the topic like Wandering Son has.
I kind of get that it may be a bit tedious to see the same pattern (Am I homosexual? Oh no, I may be homosexual! Phew, I am not homosexual) done over and over, but after having taught teenage kids for more than a decade, I can tell you that it is pretty close to real life. Sexuality if confusing for many, it's not always so straight forward as to know exactly who you are. For the female student who never thought of liking another woman, it's not unnatural to feel confused that she all of a sudden did. The issue is that there are not many titles that deal with the issue from the other hand, where people realise they are not heterosexual.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 am Reply with quote
It is exhausting but perhaps the essentialist viewpoint doesn't apply to Hibiki from Strawberry Eggs since he's not trans. Also I don't think there was anything specifically pointed out why his female student fell in love with him but there are intangible aspects that transcend gender like personality traits. Usually assumption about someones gender makes them compatible with you or not based on your orientation, but when that assumption is wrong, I think its ok to listen to your heart or the subtle cues that love has no gender. And maybe that's more in line with the message in that show.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
It is exhausting but perhaps the essentialist viewpoint doesn't apply to Hibiki from Strawberry Eggs since he's not trans. Also I don't think there was anything specifically pointed out why his female student fell in love with him but there are intangible aspects that transcend gender like personality traits. Usually assumption about someones gender makes them compatible with you or not based on your orientation, but when that assumption is wrong, I think its ok to listen to your heart or the subtle cues that love has no gender. And maybe that's more in line with the message in that show.

Please re-read what you quoted. It literally explains why Hibiki being cis is why it applies.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Please re-read what you quoted. It literally explains why Hibiki being cis is why it applies.
Maybe you can stop it with this overbearing attitude of yours and actually contribute something to the discussions for once. I've reread the post, I don't see how I'm magically going to gain some enlightenment that I couldn't before. So please offer your great wisdom to this meek forum user who is unworthy of your graciousness.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I am not reading things correctly, but I think that there is a general annoyance at characters not having an interest in the opposite sex until that person actually isn't the opposite sex (and still cis). I would say that there are connected tropes that are bit too prevalent in anime and fiction in general, where you have something like a character's sexuality changing on a dime when they do a gender swap, where there is the heteronormative expectation of attraction to gender/sex. You get some very gender essentialist stuff.

And sort of an inversion where there is not an attraction to the opposite sex, until they meet a person who has traits similar to the opposite gender. Which is where you get cases like the princely female character or girly boy. An example of the later I can think of is Totsuka from SNAFU, where Hachiman has no real interest in boys until a particular boy who is coded very femininely that he practically finds it hard not to flirt with. I would say that these tropes kind of have a common fetish element to them.

Neither of these kind of groups are really good for an advancing thought of gender and sexuality, but especially with older stuff they were all we had, and if we are lucky may have been made in some aspect by a queer person who might have been trying to push things in a good direction, while now might be seen as some element of queer baiting.

What worked before in the past where someone in a dress suddenly going "I'm a boy", to be some part of a joke of just crossdressing (often out of their control), doesn't work so well now. Although at the same time room should also be kept for gender non-conforming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7