• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dahlia in Bloom Staff, Ekachi Epilka Studio Respond to Report Claiming N. Korean Animators Wo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:19 am Reply with quote
What the hell…?
The_Outsider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:32 am Reply with quote
It ain't really uncommon, SEK has been a part of the animation industry for some time now, they even did some uncredited work for an episode of Avatar The Last Airbender and the 2003 version of TMNT.

Edit: In fact I should mention their work on ATLA was outsourced by MOI, as the south's relations with the north were relatively better back then.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
What is the significance of this...? why is it subject to so much investigation? Like, is it just because it's strange for N. Koreans to have been involved due to the situation there, or is it accusing the workers of doing subterfuge to... get work at all? Like what would be the consequences if this was true.
NebulousNeon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
What is the significance of this...? why is it subject to so much investigation? Like, is it just because it's strange for N. Koreans to have been involved due to the situation there, or is it accusing the workers of doing subterfuge to... get work at all? Like what would be the consequences if this was true.

Sanctions against whoever arranged this. At least from the perspective of Skydance, since it's illegal for American companies to do business with North Korea in any fashion. So it would probably lead to some ties to outsourcing being severed.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Possibly in violation of international sanctions against North Korea, for starters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_sanctions_against_North_Korea

Also, since North Korea has a habit of lobbing test missiles into the Sea of Japan, this may play even worse over there than it does here.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 am Reply with quote
I heard about this story a few days ago via CNN but it's not only anime but also American cartoon too that are also unfortunately a victim of the unknowingly outsourcing to North Korea. I was wondering when ANN was going to report on this and now I'm glad to see this story being brought to light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tinyirnfist0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
There were also reports of Japanese citizens abducted by North Korean spies. https://www.barrons.com/news/n-korean-abductions-of-japanese-remain-contentious-issue-dc7b52f9
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:22 pm Reply with quote
A Japanese anime animated by a country who hates Japan.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The_Outsider wrote:
It ain't really uncommon, SEK has been a part of the animation industry for some time now, they even did some uncredited work for an episode of Avatar The Last Airbender and the 2003 version of TMNT.

As well as The Simpsons Movie.
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:17 am Reply with quote
tinyirnfist0 wrote:
There were also reports of Japanese citizens abducted by North Korean spies. https://www.barrons.com/news/n-korean-abductions-of-japanese-remain-contentious-issue-dc7b52f9

To be fair, N. Korea has only admitted to abducting 13 Japanese citizens... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese_citizens
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:20 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
The_Outsider wrote:

As well as The Simpsons Movie.

As was Bender's Big Score.

North Korean outsourcing is actually more common than you'd think, given how Mondo TV does (or at least, did) it all the time. It's definitely likely we've been watching shows unknowingly co-animated by North Koreans for years, outsourced by Chinese and South Korean studios. But with the way animators are credited in animation (Anime has the bad habit of only crediting select animators from outsource parties; while western media frequently doesn't credit overseas animators, only the companies they work with), we'll never know.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 am Reply with quote
These poor companies tricked by evil North Korea when all they wanted was some cheap overseas labour. Oh, the tragedy of it all!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:12 am Reply with quote
AverageAnimeFan wrote:
tinyirnfist0 wrote:

To be fair, N. Korea has only admitted to abducting 13 Japanese citizens... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese_citizens

Don't know what there is to be fair about, kidnapping citizens of another country, secretly transporting them to your country, and demanding under pain of death to work for your country for life, seems to be more unfair to North Korea's victims.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 pm Reply with quote
If the labor is there and is capable, then I can see how outsourcing to North Korea would be business beneficial despite the human rights concerns.

Politics makes for strange bedfellows, but so does business.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:37 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

If the labor is there and is capable, then I can see how outsourcing to North Korea would be business beneficial despite the human rights concerns.

"Despite the human rights concerns" is a big PR hit

Like what's happening now in the Israel-Palestine conflict
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2