• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality in 3-2 Vote

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
This decision has been long awaited. Net neutrality has broad support among internet users in the US. Opposition, other than ISP companies, is mainly for political posturing rather than actual policy.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:47 am Reply with quote
I don't live in the United States, so I don't have any first hand experience with this, but did any of the fearmongering that was predicted if Net Neutrality fell actually come to pass? Seven years is a long enough time for that to start manifesting itself in noticeable ways. I haven't heard anything about Comcast charging Netflix or Disney+ members more than they would Peacock viewers.

I'm not shilling for ISPs or anything, I just remember a lot of doomsday hyperbole that seemed to result in ... nothing.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:44 am Reply with quote
Even without FCC oversight regarding net neutrality, there are other laws that dictate what ISPs could or couldn't do regarding internet traffic. In addition, several states passed their own net neutrality laws, so companies that operate nationally still had to adhere to net neutrality at least in those states.

In other words, the repeal of net neutrality didn't turn the internet into a wild frontier; however, the reinstatement of net neutrality strengthens rules that affirm the principles of a free internet.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
Yep, I was hoping for the return of net neutrality in the US when Biden was elected. And my wish sort of came true with this announcement a few days ago. The news media reporting of net neutrality's return blewed up on my Iphone notification and social media like crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am Reply with quote
Finally, some good news out of America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:05 am Reply with quote
Banning non-compete clauses and re-instatement of net neutrality. Two important rulings in a short period of time.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Banning non-compete clauses and re-instatement of net neutrality. Two important rulings in a short period of time.

Agree on your behalf. But will they survive your next government?
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Even without FCC oversight regarding net neutrality, there are other laws that dictate what ISPs could or couldn't do regarding internet traffic. In addition, several states passed their own net neutrality laws, so companies that operate nationally still had to adhere to net neutrality at least in those states.

In other words, the repeal of net neutrality didn't turn the internet into a wild frontier; however, the reinstatement of net neutrality strengthens rules that affirm the principles of a free internet.

I was wondering the same thing.
StarCry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I don't live in the United States, so I don't have any first hand experience with this, but did any of the fearmongering that was predicted if Net Neutrality fell actually come to pass? Seven years is a long enough time for that to start manifesting itself in noticeable ways. I haven't heard anything about Comcast charging Netflix or Disney+ members more than they would Peacock viewers.

I'm not shilling for ISPs or anything, I just remember a lot of doomsday hyperbole that seemed to result in ... nothing.

Absolutely nothing changed. It was a whole thing that everyone lost their minds over but I never even thought about it again within probably a week until I saw the headline today.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:46 pm Reply with quote
StarCry wrote:
Primus wrote:

Absolutely nothing changed. It was a whole thing that everyone lost their minds over but I never even thought about it again within probably a week until I saw the headline today.

Pretty much this. There was a ton of hyperbole over this - which made zero sense because all "net neutrality" was really about was what government sector would regulate the industry. It is similar to the development the US saw under the telecommunications act.
Reaperherpderp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Can we stop acting like this will actually stop them from throttling or charging more just by making different "packages/plans"

They dont even improve or expand infrastructure when they are given BILLIONS to do so, they do the minimum to "improve" cities, ignore expanding to rural and pocket the rest
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 pm Reply with quote
While this is nice to see, more needs to be done. It needs to actually be codified into law, because all it would take is for the partisan split to change again sometime in the future like it did when Trump got elected, and we'll be back where we started, especially given the refusal to appoint someone other than red or blue. The FCC can have a maximum of only 3 commissioners from the same political party, which is why Obama appointed Ajit Pai at the recommendation of Mitch McConnell, who later got promoted by Trump after Obama's FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler (a former cable lobbyist who originally was going to gut Net Neutrality until he was pressured by activists) stepped down following Trump being elected. Nobody has appointed an independent, Green, Libertarian, etc.
Primus wrote:

There were some things that happened, such as Verizon throttling fire departments unless they paid more money.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/verizon-throttled-fire-departments-unlimited-data-during-calif-wildfire/

Or throttling streaming competitors.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/21/16010766/verizon-netflix-throttling-statement-net-neutrality-title-ii

However, when some states started to pass their own Net Neutrality laws, having things fractured didn't make that much sense. Things also got tied up in the courts, and then Ajit Pai stepped down following Biden being elected and the FCC partisan split later favored the Democrats.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180106000134/https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-05/what-happens-when-states-have-their-own-net-neutrality-rules

BTW, worth noting, South Korea doesn't have Net Neutrality, and it led to Twitch having to leave the country.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitch-exits-south-korea-over-171613373.html
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:55 am Reply with quote
StarCry wrote:
Primus wrote:

Just because you haven't thought about it, doesn't mean people haven't been affected. https://publicknowledge.org/broadband-providers-are-quietly-taking-advantage-of-an-internet-without-net-neutrality-protections/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1