• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant Beasts of Ars (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Giant Beasts of Ars (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Asahi Production

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: demi-humans, gods, monsters, mythology

Plot Summary: The great beasts created the land, but humans stole it. Angered, the beasts began eating humans, who, in turn, called upon the gods to fight the beasts. In the age of the sword, heroes, and mythology, giant beasts are hunted by humans for profit. Jiro, who makes his living hunting beasts, encounters Kuumi, who is being chased by someone, and at that moment, decides to save her. As rumors spread about humanity and a mysterious experiment, they seek to discover the world's secrets.

Air Date & Platform:
January 6, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Kind of intrigued by the mix of fantasy and SF elements even if the SF stuff has been muted so far. Classic gruff guy / adorable girl set-up. Nothing special but it's not encouraging me to drop it at this point.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Between this, Kaina of the Great Snow Sea, and The Fire Hunter it's actually hard to pick a favorite because all three shows successfully scratch my itch for adventure stories set in mysterious lands!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I have Kaina and Fire Hunter as equally good but I do put Giant Beasts below them. Obviously personal sensibility plays a role in an opinion like that, but I think an objective argument can be made that the world-building in the first two is more original than what we've seen in Beasts, so far. But again, it all comes down to how a show, as you say, scratches a particular itch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:32 am Reply with quote
For me, from the first 3 episodes, the one that scratched my itch was this show, and weirdly for the quirky small merchant character with a cat on her head, Myaa. I kind of had no interest after first episode after Snow Sea, and Fire Hunter didn't really draw me in. But the little munchkin here (who looks pretty clearly an adult), who speaks in cat puns, just let herself go to prison, but took the guys sword in knowing he would break them out just to get it out.

I kind of actually was sick of the standard types for the heroes, but although not wholly original, she feels like the right kind of chaos.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:38 am Reply with quote
I think I mentioned it in the review thread, but I’m wondering if the cat on top of Myaa’s might actually be the real Myaa controlling the body.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I think I mentioned it in the review thread, but I’m wondering if the cat on top of Myaa’s might actually be the real Myaa controlling the body.

There's definitely something up that goes beyond mere pet ownership considering the dog barking version of Myaa that cropped up in the village.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Yeah, do think I am enjoying this show a surprising amount. Myaa continuing to be best character when she gets pissy at the amount of money they are spending, and not at all being impressed by Jiro making money from gambling. And then we are introduced, the tall dark skinned mature lady, who beats Jiro at his own game because she thought he was a slave trader, that even Myaa agrees, but is also a clearly nice person as a healer.

Kind of popped into my head to make some comparisons to something like Cowboy Bebop, where in such a case Romana would be like a Faye Valentine, who kind of forces her way with an air like sensuality. But opposed to Faye, she kind of comes across as likable after taking everything from Jiro and even holding his weapon for ransom, I think because that whole confidence on gambling felt like a deck of cards he deserved to have fall down before probably someone else makes it worse. And in a way I might even say that it made Jiro an actually more interesting character, that he has such a vice as gambling that he kind of looked like he let his walls down, and chances are he will need to be kept on a leash from.

On the other hand, I don't think anything too interesting was done with Meran, despite him joining the group. He was kind of just there, and wants to be stronger despite not being able to do anything. Kuumi did improve also, I like her feeling uneasy from worry about not being able to contribute much to the group, and I would sort of wonder if that is going to play a part in looking like she doesn't even look like she has agency when powering up Jiro.

But I would also want to see Myaa and Romana be friends, and not kind of turn into that thing where small woman and large woman end up fighting because they are on different sides of body types or something. I will be very disappointed if this show decides to create some sort of conflict over Myaa being petite, while Romana has big boobs.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 am Reply with quote
I like the crew that has been assembled. Yes, the parallel to Cowboy Bebop is definitely there. I wish they'd actually show more of the inside of the ship but perhaps that's coming.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
Was there really a Wan-chan or did Myaa just duplicate herself? I was still wondering what that interaction was when Myaa barked later at the table which fully stopped my train of thought.

She... it... they are different, I know that much. So far, all I have is "one person, many hats." Living hats but that's still less mysterious than suddenly appearing behind the village elder, not at all surprising him and then disappearing once the meeting/introduction/convincing was done.

Everyone agrees that Myaa is the best thing about the show which is its greatest flaw since the show isn't about her.

People are saying Cowboy Bebop but I was thinking Outlaw Star. Me: "Cowboy Bebop? Oh yeah, I can definitely see Myaa and Jim being connected and Jiro and Gene are an obvious match. Melfina melding with the ship the way Kuumi melds with Giro and then there's the additional warrior/spirit followers. Wait... That's not Bebop." So why Bebop?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
People are saying Cowboy Bebop but I keep thinking Outlaw Star. So why Bebop?

It's possible that more people may have seen Cowboy Bebop than Outlaw Star. Or if they've seen both remember Cowboy Bebop more than they remember Outlaw Star. I personally wasn't reminded of either while watching this.

When Romana showed up, the first thing that I thought of were the Viera from Final Fantasy, though they have much larger ears than Romana does.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:56 pm Reply with quote
My thought of Cowboy Bebop was that there is an ace fighter that is a loner with a past, a little reckless and doesn't want anyone else to join. You have a pilot (owner of the team ship) who seems wise to the world, and I think is concerned over the finances. And then who a have a sort of femme fatale who comes in, knowing how to be opportunistic in screwing with that ace fighter, but also proves that there is more to her in joining the group. And also add in a possibly lab created character that can look very unassuming and small, but might be the most impressive in the right circumstances.

I doubt anything is actually intended.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:41 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Outlaw Star. I think I watched the first episode a few years ago and wasn't drawn in for some reason. I take it that it's worth digging up for a second look?

I see some of the parallels in the set-up, but I don't think this show really has a Cowboy Bebop vibe. It's not quite roguish enough IMHO. Now if you want to talk about how Firefly was obviously inspired by Cowboy Bebop, I'll be in the choir loft right behind you saying "Amen!".

The show that I keep thinking of is Frank Frazetta's Fire and Ice, but I think that's more about the background art and the animation style (and maybe the vaguely necromantic weirdo chasing them).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
Is it bad that I kind of laughed at the reused dancing, with the drums and the lion girl?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:07 am Reply with quote
Not at all, DP. I'll add to your laughter a smirk of my own that the "women" of the Mountain Folk (who look suspiciously like orcs) just happen to be a step or two above being lolis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2