• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Dawn of the Witch (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote

The Dawn of the Witch (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: The world is now at peace after having endured a conflict between the church and witches for 500 years. However, embers of war still burn in some regions of the world. Cervil is a hopeless student at the Kingdom of Wenias' College of Magic. Cervil has somehow lost all memory of his time before attending the college. The school's headmaster Albus sends him for special training to the southern part of the continent, where persecution against witches runs strong.

Apr. 7, 2022 (Thursdays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Now that I look at the series picture, I can see it, but not really looking up I did not actually know that this was a spinoff of Grimoire of Zero, although I had inklings of a similarity. And then they just name dropped her in the episode.

It was a while since I saw that series, but some of the characterisation seems odd.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:29 am Reply with quote
Episode (finale)

I don't know if it was me, but tis episode felt really awkward. A lot of stuff happened from a big battle, to resolving the entire season by having them graduate and move on. Possibly made worse by the fact the action wasn't as animated as it might have wanted to be. Perhaps they did the best they could with what they had, with a really tall order with the action that they managed to be impressive with some parts, But I noticed a lot quick panning shots to really try and sell the idea of action, for instance the zombies eating the demon possessed guy.

I am also a little confused over the apparently no killing thing, when it looked like they killed some of the beast fallen mercenaries, by chopping some heads off. They healed some later, but hard to believe that the mercs that were beheaded and turned into zombies managed to be non-casualties, along with the demon possessed guy himself, who really was dead. Just created some weird thoughts that despite what the series said, the beastfallen soldiers were being treated as bellow the normal human ones. I generally think that this episode was too much squeezed into a single episode, that it was very overstuffed.

The show was never really great, with what felt like half ideas, and stuff that worked better in a different medium. But also that it occasionally had some stuff that wasn't half bad, and I could imagine actually being really interested in if I was younger and fresher. Although a little ironically on that, I think the show somewhat presumes some knowledge of Grimoire of Zero, an anime from years ago, which as it stands I would not say was huge.

My rating is going to be So-so (5/10), which I do think is a little harsh with some things that were interesting, but as a whole I don't think it was successful enough to be worth my attention. Although, again, I do think that there might be a number of people who might be into it. Honestly, I think that I was suffering a bit of lost cause fallacy from watching Grimoire of Zero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1