• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Executioner and Her Way of Life (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:39 am Reply with quote

(The) Executioner and Her Way of Life (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: The Lost Ones are wanderers who come here from a distant world known as "Japan." No one knows how or why they leave their homes. The only thing that is certain is that they bring disaster and calamity. The duty of exterminating them without remorse falls to Menou, a young Executioner. When she meets Akari, it seems like just another job until she discovers it's impossible to kill her. And when Menou begins to search for a way to defeat this immortality, Akari is more than happy to tag along.

Apr. 1, 2022 (Fridays; HIDIVE)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This is why I don't looking up explanations of every series before starting, because I want to be surprised, and have the show itself speak for itself. Also giving the chance for me as an audience member to organically pick up the hints that the show might not be everything that it seems. In specifics, from between the isekai guy finding out his power as something so dangerous, and almost like his first thoughts went to how he could use that power against other people, like he was about to turn into a super villain. Which made it not an entire surprise that she suddenly put a blade in his head.

It does give it a really interesting premise, one where teenagers from Japan being isekaied is not actually that rare, but are actually a real threat to the people of the wold. Like seeing the teenage girl apparently having her power go out of control, and turned a village into salt.

Could have done without the predatory lesbian character, though. Even if I thought the taking a picture with the book was a little funny.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:50 am Reply with quote
I almost skipped this show at first since it's an isekai but since how I'll be watching less anime thanks to [blank], I decided to watch the first episode and was meet with an Isekai Deconstruction, the perfect cure to what even now [blank] is preaching from the heavens as to what is good: isekai anime sequels. Ugh.

But here: There's too many isekai'd brown and black haired protagonists from Japan, they need to be thinned out. Or rather any is too many.... despite the obvious probability the Executioner herself is an Isekai protagonist.

A lot of deaths and betrayals to follow as Menou learns about herself and the world and what her true place is. It has potential, definitely has potential.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm hesitatingly watching this show. My main problem with it, as is often the case, is the glorification of murder. The show puts some "actually, murder is bad" words in the main character's mouth, but the show clearly doesn't believe it when it then follows up with a fight scene against 5 dudes clearly meant to glorify her killing prowess.

Adding the direction the show is going makes it feels like the message is "they all deserve to die unless they make the main character fall in love with them."
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they just all deserve to die .
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:58 am Reply with quote
I was a little confused in the recent episode where they showed the sword as a source for turning a continent into salt, if we were being misled in the past that the Japanese girl was the source of salt, or if it was the power being used to try and kill her. That perhaps the executioners might actually be extreme in some of their methods in stopping isekai kids, which could cause more victims.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:58 pm Reply with quote
(She/Her)
S01E08

i love when there·s an anime that i·m not really sure how i fit into and then i see myself and it·s like whew i love when i know who i am

i didn·t have any expectations of The Executioner and Her Way of Life yet if i did this show would have exceeded them

it·s airy it·s breezy and yet at the same time it·s solemn and has pretty good action sequences
the magic system is well-developed

so
let·s talk Monstrine production
i·m feeling luxurious
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
(She/Her)
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
S01E10
12:40

so i·m watching this
watching these betrayal arcs play out
where Liberty n-xxxx is telling the story
about the Liberty that came before

when all of a sudden she gets
skewered in the chest
and dies in front of her kid
in the most traumatizing possible way

creating a reality shatter
so that the kid can become the big bad
and i·m thinking like hold on a sec
wasn·t there already a big bad? Ka

which is when Flare comes out
and i·m like sooo
the Executioner killed Liberty Nh ah so ah so
and now there·s this triangle of trauma

and then the show itself
having just set up this Revolving Betrayal
is like
"Miss Asherah? You·re on in 5."
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:32 am Reply with quote
(She/Her)

S01E12

Why is the Executioner hell-bent on pacifying Akari instead of just killing her? Ka .
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:43 am Reply with quote
(finale)

Considering how the end kind of felt like it might be one of those long series, kind of gives me a bad taste as some similar series I think that go way too long with their themes. Maybe it just reminds me of the Index franchise more than I would like. I don't think is bad, I just hope that it might have a good finale at some point.

A kind of sad thing about this series is that it is one of the clearer examples of a main character that seems likely gay, that is Akari. Who is sandwiched right next to Momo, who is a boring stereotype of a lesbian.

But more important parts of the series. I liked some of the world building, the shorthand that Earth Japanese culture apparently altered this one. And I do like some of its dark themes, but does occasionally feel to edgy for its own good, the sort of thing of mistaking edge for complexity. Some of it makes me too tired to really want to get invested. The princess at being seemingly optimistic while not naive, really felt more refreshing. I guess that I sort of wonder where real character growth fits in, especially with whatever is happening with Akari being a bit of a mess.

It is not all bad, but I really was hesitant for reasons, although I admit that it did get me invested at times. My rating is going to be Good (7/10), worth seeing. Maye at an earlier time I would have been even more so, but it is what you get with current oversaturation of anime.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:33 pm Reply with quote
(She/Her)

Overall , i really liked The Executioner and Her Way of Life . Menu was a really cool character , and from the poetically beautiful images of death and resurrection in the intro often playing out in the temporality aspect of the show , i found that this anime delivered solid magic , cool hybridization of science and technology , and tightly coordinated action-packed fight scenes .

While Momo and Akari sometimes got baited by 300-Meter strixes , i still enjoyed getting to see such solid lesbian representation . I really really enjoyed finally getting to see some solid lesbian representation .

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1