• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
D_Cide Traumerei the Animation (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote

D_Cide Traumerei the Animation (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary: As a child, Ryuhei looked up to his older brother, but watched him perish in a mysterious incident right before his eyes. Now a high schooler, Ryuhei shows no outward sings of the trauma of that nightmarish incident, and spends most of his leisure time kickboxing. One day, while kickboxing, he encounters a creature that calls itself Tris, and is bitten by it, resulting in him having a strange dream.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I wasn't really thinking that this show would be worth much attention, like creating a topic for it, it kind of looked like just another 3DCG anime, which would probably just be ignored as a not too interesting adaption of I would guess a game. But second episode really kind of grabbed my attention, which I think was a part of how it dove into a rather distressing subject of domestic abuse, featuring the straight laced character looking to maybe be a touch too stuffy, and then show the horrible abuse she sees every day. Her high ranking police officer of a father physically abusing her mother, with the control then pointed at her. How it touched in this sort of fear of someone bigger and stronger than you.

No idea if it really handled it well, that she did confront her father in the end, following an outfit swap. And she did quite the outfit swap, which gives thoughts between she should be able to wear what she wants, and she is still supposed to be a teenager. I did also kind of notice this episode too how these teens wear their uniforms does seem to be a bit extreme if there is any way they could get away with it.

And another thing is how I noticed this episode was blending 3D and 2D character, that by itself brings to mind of how awful something like EX-ARM did with that. But although I could kind of notice it, I wouldn't really say that that it was horribly executed in at least this episode when I was paying attention to that sort of thing. I wouldn't say that it felt like they were from totally different shows.

Following the plot of this episode, the stylization of things like outfits and such, I am sort of reminded a bit of the Persona 5 series, just with a bit more of what characters done with CG models can bring, which I don't quite have a word for at the moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect much from this show either... something about the awkwardness of the title made me think it'd be a third rate story but so far so good. It's nothing amazing, but it's keeping my interest so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

It was another good episode, and getting a feel of fan reaction is having me think that this might be one of the hidden gems of the season.

The episode was about Rena, the super friendly girl who is apparently also a social media mini-celeb, and was also about another girl called Maeshima. Maeshima is being bullied by other girls and is protected by Rena, but Maeshima's insecurity has her thinking that Maeshima is trying to make herself look good, as well also being a bit obsessed in thinking that she would be the best friend with Rena. It created an interesting kind of dynamic of of Maeshima, under the influence of the evil forces, sabotaging and hurting Rena, while also trying to insert herself as her real friend. I can't say if this is something that might be relevant to real girl relationships, but sounds like drama I have heard of.

But Maeshima wasn't a bad person, and I am a little interested in the angle of something like depression can make people act sort of irrational and hurt others and themselves. Rena still was a cool character, she comes across as a strong character, if not physically but emotionally, and was apparently born from her own pain, so she knows what it is like to be hurt. Along the lines of my Persona 5 mention last time, she reminds me of Ann.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Why is this show getting so little attention? Is it really because the series name looks so bad, being unwieldly. with also having "the animation" added to show that it is a game adaption, on top of the CG animation? I continue to find the show to be surprisingly good, this episode touching on a few things, with Aruto as the central character, the blonde boy with ice skates.

With Aruto as the central character with his own problems of not a super happy home life, having to look after a mentally unwell and a father that comes home very late, his issue being to open up. There was kind of a societal theme with regards to adults, and maybe specifically the unhealthy work ethics of the Japanese. Not just Aruto's father coming home late, but the dream victim of the episode was suffering poor working conditions that stressed him out and made him wish to disappear. And Aruto's mother specificed after being prevented from committing, she not only said she was a bad mother but was useless at work, which kind of sounded like she was also a victim of a mental breakdown at work.

And the episode was kind of wrapped around empathy, where Aruto was able to open up and just be there for someone, with I think a bit of that being him needing to include himself in that, and it is okay to open up to others, like inviting his friends over. Seems kind of relevant in other ways to work as I think earlier it was making a point that their supernatural exploits were just being professional, questioning if something would affect their job. And I also want to mention the positive masculinity that Ryuhei brings, how he brought Aruto to the gym to have him kickbox some of his frustration out. And not just a gatekeep it to guys thing, where it was used in episode 2 to help her stand up a bit
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

More heavy stuff, this episode they had to stop a guy from killing a man who raped and murdered his sister, only getting 15 years for the crime while being open for repeal. A rather conflicting story, as it is not hard to see how it might be vindictive to just let him get revenge against the man who is certainly not sorry for what he did, and instead they all have to do what essentially kills the guy who was already a victim.

Which going back kind of feels familiar to a conversation the characters were having of Japan can be bad for the people who are already victims, a footnote for their possible differing ideals of justice. The idea brought up of just a bullet to execute the clearly evil person, oddly mentioning that both Japan and America are still places of the law, the teens agreeing that they shouldn't get to choose to just execute someone. Which could be interesting in what they do in fighting.

Regardless, it looked like the irredeemable guy after gloating that he will be out in 10 with good behaviour to allow him to do the crim again, an accident killed him, which has me wonder if they feel any responsibility for that, and how to even feel about the death of someone so awful.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I was having so much fun with the episode being kind of ridiculous, especially with the American Jessica who can drive like a badass and really can shoot, the whole highway bit kind of made me think of bits from the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. And then it totally shocked me when a spoiler[character just got their brains blown out from a sniper rifle], which is kind of an escalation beyond what I would expect. Granted earlier in the episode there were implications of torcher and two cars with bad people in it blowing up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:15 am Reply with quote
I was thinking this was shaping up to be a Misery of the Week series sort of like Hell Girl...until this episode, which finally seemed to kick off the plot with a bang (was that in bad taste?). Seriously did not see that coming, any more than the Dream Team did.

Yeah, I thought the "All Americans are born knowing how to drive" was funny, and all our guns are real was humorous in a dark way, but I wish that was just a stereotype with no basis in reality.

I think the zipper-mouthed hand-dogs are growing on me....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Seriously did not see that coming, any more than the Dream Team did.

I had to rewind a bit because it took me by so surprise so much.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, I thought the "All Americans are born knowing how to drive" was funny, and all our guns are real was humorous in a dark way, but I wish that was just a stereotype with no basis in reality.

To be fair, I don't think the show is saying it seriously, rather than Jessica being some sort of special case who was dodging the question. I believe she was less harsh in the previous episode, something about the death penalty.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure which "it" you mean that they weren't serious about, since both seemed to be jokes. Ironically, Americans own fewer cars per capita than most developed nations, including Japan, so that stereotype is outdated. But we have more guns than people here, and we use them on each other more than most countries do, so I thought their surprise that the guns were real was funny, but I wish that also wasn't based on reality. (the question is how she got them into the country!)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Yes, I was hoping the poor girl was going to become part of the team. This can be quite a harsh show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:51 am Reply with quote
Ep 8

Way too much yelling in that one. I really needed Rando to like do a Vulcan neck pinch on Ryūhei. Was there anything keeping them from knocker-upping in the elevator? How close do you have to be once they show up on this side of the portal?

What was up with all the extreme close-ups in this ep? It looked like the camera was going to chase that booger right up Ryūhei's nose. Usually that's to save on action shots, but they were just sitting around anyway. Dropped a crapton of exposition on us though.

The face mask design of the Evil Mastermind sure looks an awful lot like the masks they wear in Scarlet Nexus. They both even wear hoodies.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was what TV types call a "bottle" episode. It refers to an episode where the number of characters is kept to a minimum and in a constrained space. It's done to save money. Better than doing a recrap episode, I guess. It kind of felt that the other part of the story (the woman who had bullied somebody into suicide) was supposed to be more extensive at one time and they just shortened it and replaced it with the elevator thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:11 am Reply with quote
I have mostly been kind of annoyed or disappointed that he went from what I might describe as being very healthy in how he expresses things like his masculinity and frustration, to being unnecessarily aggressive to some who really isn't trying to start anything. And clearly scaring that girl a bit who can't handle things like his yelling, or the atmosphere of the busy city.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Show: (Ryuhei gets a love letter)
Me: "Its a guy."

And it really had me wanting that to be a fact and for it to be tastefully done. And yeah, I think that is what it did.
It introduces Nozaki, has us understand why he has a crush on Ryuhei, and never makes a joke of the fact that it was a guy. Ryuhei is surprised, and thus doesn't really know how to react, but he is not disgusted or made a joke of the fact of "ha ha, it was a boy instead". The girls don't make fun of him, rather they find out how he let Nozaki down if Ryuhei is straight, figuring that Ryuhei kind of unintentionally led him on, and thus should be more clear for Nozaki's sake.

Then Ryuhei I think kind of messed up again, turning Nozaki down too hard by saying something like that they couldn't start out as friends either, which sounded like they couldn't be friends at all. Which probably wasn't the best thing to say to the guy who must have worked up a lot of courage to do what he did. Of course Nozaki became the target of the dream monsters of the episode, which had me a little worried about how it might go, possibly demonising a queer character, or a bury your gays trope. He did get possessive for a bit, but it is kind of in line with how other characters have been influenced, but he wasn't abandoned, and Ryuhei still cared about him.

I would say the show lived up to my expectations, how I had thoughts that it was pretty socially aware, and I would hope that it could handle something like a queer character well, doing so much better than other series. There might have been that air of a joke when Aruto was teasing without knowing by saying that he was turned down, but I don't think it treated it anything like Ryuhei being victimised by the admirer not matching his sexuality.

Oh, and Ryuhei's friend has been distributing the dream candies. So that is a betrayal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2