• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
I got my Brother X'amd lost memories Blue Ray part 1 for Christmas. =u= And now you see where the plot comes full circle, It was his present but i watched it after he opened it.

First half was pretty good. The animation look really nice on blue ray. My brother who didn't think that Blue ray would make that much of a difference for animation, changed his mind upon watching it. Love Bones Style~ I might just have to buy Part 2 just to see the rest rather then waiting for my brother too get the rest.
pasteloverdose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Watching Natsu no Arashi. I think it's one of my favorite SHAFT shows so far. I thought the drama in this show was quite well-done, though I don't think it was combined very well with the comedy. The second season isn't as great so far (at least for me), since it focuses more on fanservice and spoiler[crossdressing antics], which is fine, but gets tiring after a while. Even so, it's a good show.

My biggest problem with it is that I'm not a huge fan of SHAFT comedies. They tend to be too parody-based for my tastes, and even when that's not the case, they still don't make me laugh that much.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I recently blasted through the first season of Clannad during a time period where I had to stay up late (long story). I enjoyed it WAY more than I thought I would, enough to put it up on my list of favorite series. I'm hoping to see AfterStory soon. (And I think at this point I'm going to have to give up on my illusion that I don't like Harem anime at all. I guess I just don't like bad harem series.)

For now, though, I decided I wanted something that was faster paced and not quite as dramatic, so I started School Rumble today, episodes 1 and 2. It's pretty funny so far, and I'm surprised at how...genuine, I guess, the interactions are between the cast. It's wacky and crazy but some of the moments between the characters are pretty cute. I'm not super-excited over it yet but it's definitely convinced me to continue with the series. I tried the first episode in the dub and the second in the sub--both are really good, although I don't think any one actor really stood out for me in either version. I think I'm going to mostly watch it through the sub since I'm a biiit tired of hearing Luci Christian's "cutesy" voice after watching Clannad in the dub (although she's one of my favorite voice actresses).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Shigofumi: letters from the departed today. I really liked the premise and it's execution. Some fairly dark subject matter throughout but at the same time most of the episodes end on a happy note. I enjoyed the emotional roller coaster and felt the series had a solid range of experiences. I enjoyed the character designs and pacing.

During the series I couldn't help but draw parallels from Kino no tabi. Kino and Fumika, Kanaka and Hermes, their non interference policy, and the narrative of humanities flaws and beauty. In the end the two series are quite different and each bring their own strengths to the table.

Overall I'd go with a strong "very good" bordering into "excellent". 8.5/10
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Taking a break from Black Butler II (which I'm episode 6 now - slightly confused, but am enjoying every moment of it), I decided to watch my Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle OVAs DVD that I just got in the mail today. Now, before I go on a bit of my rant, note that I haven't seen really much of the dub for the Tsubasa anime, having mostly seen it subbed, and have also seen these subbed. But I decided to watch this dubbed to get a different perspective.

The dub is actually pretty good, cast-wise - my only real problem comes from Monica Rial's Sakura, who seems way too whiny compared to Yui Makino's more subdued Sakura. However, when it comes to the lines, I had a lot more troubles. I can just tell that parts of the script was made just to fit the lip flaps. I know that I can't expect the dub to match up to the sub, but when there are so many lines - and simple lines - that are drastically changed in order to fit the lip flaps, it kinda gets on my nerves. Especially during the action scenes in Tokyo Revelations, when Mokona would call out Kurogane's name but instead he called out one of the nicknames in order to cover up the lip flaps of the mispronunciation of his name - oh boy, was that a teeth-grinder. x.x

I doubt I'll watch these again in the dub, mainly because of the script, but for those that like the Tsubasa dub you may want to try and give it your best judge.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first disk of Pumpkin Scissors and while I have no high expectations of this show, it is interesting thus far. Maybe I am finding it more enjoyable since I had so low expectations, or maybe it has no big love that I have heard about as the show declines later on? That is speculation on my part so far, I am trying to figure out why it has had no talk and is so cheap. I hope that isn't the case, however I am prepared for that. I am sufficiently curious as to what will happen next, the large gentle curious man with ties to some secret army group that can become a monster in the moment of battle...I hope to hear more about him and this group that shouldn't have existed. I like seeing the exploration of different classes, and wouldn't mind hearing more about that as well, overall, this show holds some promise.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Personally, I never thought Pumpkin Scissors was all that good to begin with. But I thought the last third of the show was even worse, and I would be willing to bet that the majority of people who finished it would agree with me. The final four episodes have their (all too brief) moments, but they drag on and don't wrap anything up. The show needed a second season - it was almost begging for it - but better still it needed to be half the length that it was. If the filler had been cut out the story we actually got could have been told in sixteen (even twelve) episodes. This would have left plenty of episodes to give the show a proper final arc and ending.
Scialen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
I got Gurren Lagann Part 1 (episodes 1 - 9) for Christmas and I've already watched it. I've ordered part 2. I've seen it once before and watching it again makes me gush manly things, especially as it is on DVD (so I can watch it whenever I want). Surprised It's one of those series that I have to see all in one go, and is one of my favourites because of how things just grow and grow and... grow with epicness, heroism, and I dare say, character development. Every single lad and man needs to watch this. You know how fairy tales and stories taught boys and girls the proper values in life? It's like that.

Every boy, guy, dude, man, and brother needs Gurren Lagann. During that hellish transition in life called adolescence, you need examples to shake you from your self-doubt; to show you that who you are is the most damnedest awesome thing there is; to be a pseudo big brother on screen; to force you to sieze the day by the balls and live your life. In its own twisted, funny, silly, and over the top way, it teaches you to be a man in the same way fairy tales taught you how to be good little boys and girls in their own strange and wonderful ways.
vastoceans

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
Re-watching Angel Beats! at the behest of the recently released 13.5 epilogue. It misses the otherworldly mark when compared to other Key works like Clannad, Air and Kanon and yet, there's something about this show. I do wonder what direction it could have taken if given a 26 episode run as well as if Tatsuya Ishihara had been directing it but at the same time I feel satisfied with what it is. Particularly the music and voice acting. The OP for this show is one of the very few I can't skip over no matter which episode I'm on... OP alone makes me tear up a bit. Most Key works are like that for me. The epilogue "... I heard he's waiting for someone" makes me sincerely hope we'll see a second season.

Also watching Working!. I love this show so far. The casting is great (I'm a Jun Fukuyama fan-boy) and the production values are high. Cute character design. Very nice comedy outside the confines of high school. Episode one had me rolling when Kyouko shouts out "Customers, please refrain from violence!". Great comedic timing.

Also watching Sketchbook ~full colors~ at the moment. This slow-paced slice of life stuff is really right up my alley. Sora is a super cute character and Kana Hanazawa was perfect for her. Any fans of this show happen to remember which dialect Natsumi Asō (puppet girl) is speaking?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
@ bonbonsrus & dtm42 re: Pumpkin Scissors - PS was one of those rare instances where, objectively, I knew I was enjoying a show more than it actually deserved. The dub is sketchy, the artwork is far from superb, but there was something about it that interested me. I liked the character interaction and I found the background of a war relief team working in a vaguely post World War I setting interesting. It was pretty effective in showing how our band of heroes was often caught between the suspicous public they were trying to help and the more callous segments of the society that didn't believe in their mission.

But yeah, my interest really dipped in the last third and as far as I'm concerned it limped to the finish line.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Watched the last episode of Sora no Otoshimono Forte yesterday; I think on balance I enjoyed this series, but it definitely took itself too seriously in places. It was just so jarring to have these goofy perverted gags interrupted with sporadic outbreaks of GRIPPING DRAMA. Confused
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I decided to watch my Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle OVAs DVD that I just got in the mail today.

Wow, that's early! Just curious - where did you get yours? I have it pre-ordered from Amazon with a projected arrival time between a week and a week and a half from now, with no signs of it being in the mailed or even prepped stage early at this point.

I'm really looking forward to them, as Tokyo is my favorite part of the manga. After your comment, I'm curious to see how the nicknames are handled, as (without giving anything away) they actually become a plot point in Tokyo. I'm eager to see how the actors do, as Tokyo is emotionally draining and can't be phoned in if any kind of justice has been done to it (and from the ratings I've seen here they apparently did right by it). I have to say that up til now I've preferred Tsubasa subtitled by a hair, as opposed to it's sister series xxxHOLic for which I've vastly preferred the dub.
excaliber736

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just started watching Chrno Crusade, mainly because people keep telling me how good it is. I have also been told that it is very sad, which is a plus for me because I enjoy tragic anime. That being said, I have watched up to episode four and I must say that I am little disappointed so far, as the focus seems to be more on slapstick comedy which robs the show's scenarios of their intended gravity. Despite this I am going to give it up until at least episode 13 to improve because other people who initially disliked the show have said that it gets better around episode 12.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I just re-watched Tenchi Universe and it was very nostalgic. This used to be on Toonami and it was a blast going back in time.

After watching the episodes where the group spoiler[resurrects Azaka and Kamidake], it made me wonder how did I watch those episodes when I was younger without seizing. It was like a techno club for the better part of three minutes with the flashing green lights.

The show sets itself apart from the harem genre. Even though there were six girls, only two were actively pining for the male lead. It was a nice change to a cliché-ridden genre.

I did notice some absurd plot devices within the show. When the group is in space, apparently the universe readily serves Japanese cuisine and give spaceships Japanese names. Some people from space (especially some of the main characters) have Japanese names.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed re-watching Tenchi Universe. Now I have to find the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs that aired on Toonami if they are even available.
r3vival

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching House of Five Leaves. It was a shame I missed out on this one earlier in the year I do feel it was one of the better works to come out of 2010. I love artwork, heavy shadows, and unique character design. The main character really stands out to me in this one as well. He seems full of surprises despite how much of a clutz I first pinned him as being. Almost halfway through and glad I found something to keep me occupied until 2011 season starts =).

@excaliber736 - I hear you on that I watched Chrono Crusades not too long ago and the comedy wasn't really for me. I am however glad I stuck that one out the tone changes later in the series and the way it wrapped up really made that series stick with me. Hope you enjoy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 534 of 1062