• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Loathe Inconsistent Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'd like to ask a question that is slightly off-topic, if I may.

You guys keep on talking about a select group of posters who spam the forum, but I have no idea who you're talking about. I do remember one particular poster who had managed fifteen hundred posts in only a few short months, but they've been gone for quite a while now.

Naturally I'm not asking for the specific names of the people who are so well known to you guys. That would not be appropriate. But I have to ask, is this a Subscriber thing pertaining mostly to the Community sub-forum? Or am I blind and they are spamming Talkback or the like? I just wondered, considering how so many of you are Subscribers.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Just wonder why certain posters are still allowed to post when they troll so much.

Quote #1 wrote:
"I know you believe you understand what you think I posted, but I’m not sure you realize what you read is not what I meant"

Slightly modified for the forum, but it's 100% true. What some may view as trolling, others don't. Defining the line comes down to comprehension, which is often the cause for differing opinions.

Back in the day, I taught classes on internet development and a discussion sidelined to forums. A site owner wanted advice on how to set up moderation without coming off like a [rude] (changed his word) about it.

I thought about it a second, then said this:
Quote #2 wrote:
"To make someone mad, use the word 'you' in your reply."
"To make everyone mad, don't use the word 'you' in your reply."

The guy thought about it a second, and he said: "So, it's impossible."

Welcome to the internet where your opinion's going to be take wrong some, if not most, of the time.
Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Welcome to the internet where your opinion's going to be take wrong some, if not most, of the time.

I can't believe you just insulted me like that, you vituperative villain! Heh-heh-heh...

Actually, I don't think it's quite that bad. Yes, all communication is fraught with the possibility of misunderstanding, especially in a medium such as the Internet where things are written quickly and read quicker.

However, I think a lot of misinterpretation can be avoided by a) having a decent command of whatever language you are using and b) not writing in anger. The second is my greatest flaw. Too often, I'll pound something out when I'm irritated, annoyed or vexed. Whereas if I just stepped away from the computer and composed a post in a better frame of mind, I could save myself a lot of hassle.

I've been posting on (non-anime) message boards since March, 2001 (*gulp*). It's fairly rare, but occasionally I'll encounter other posters who are unfailingly unflappable. They never abuse the anonymity of the Internet to flame other posters or act in a way that they wouldn't if that person was standing right in front of them. When they express an opinion, they do so in a reasonable way that does not implicitly suggest a reader is a moron if he or she doesn't feel the same way. And gee, wouldn't you know it...they are the people who rarely get misinterpreted.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood-, you have to realize that this is forum is governed by a group of volunteering moderators and working administrators. Our opinion counts but we need to do the posts in accordance to the rules. I've broken the rules to the point a thread lock has occurred. By putting intellectual and precise detailing in posts, it potentially lessens thread locks.

Quote:
Blood- wrote:
Well, from what I've seen so far in my brief time here, ANN seems to be pretty well moderated - a good balance between keeping order and letting discussion flow appears to be in place. (Naturally, I reserve the right to change my opinion on this if a SINGLE! ONE! OF! MY! PRECIOUS! WORDS! is ever tampered with again...)

Quote:
You have no idea how much I wanted to edit that post of yours, just because...

Quote:
Blood- wrote:
I've adminned/moderated (non-anime) message boards myself, so I know first hand it can be a task for which the word "thankless" seems to have been coined.

Quote:
Volunteer tasks are often thankless. In the past year, the mods here have been called everything from tyrants to nazis to retarded to... well, fill in the blanks. And those were the polite moiety.

Well, I'm thanking Abunai and the other volunteers for helping one of my most visited sites on the web.
ehsan13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
To the mods:
I am new at ANN. I m trying my best to give honest reply to the threads. I am sure that I am not spamming, and I am not writing any offensive comments. But I dont know why my posts just keep on disappearing. I have been to many forums now and then. But I have not experienced anything like this. Please.... if you delete my posts, just leave me a message what am I doing wrong. May be I'll fix it in my next post.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well we generally don't actually delete threads but archive them in a "deleted" area, but I can't find any posts or threads in there from you so I'm not quite sure why they disappeared or what happened. I can attest that I have not read or moderated any of your posts myself.

How many posts, roughly, went missing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
Deleted posts would probably be from my end. Sorry for no heads up, but I regularly delete one-liner and lists posts without warning and just hope people will either take heed of Rule #3:

Teh Rules wrote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute.

Or maybe even use a little common sense and make note of the thread title like "What are you watching right now? Why?"

For example, this:

ehsan13 wrote:
Right now I am watching Air. Im kind of backtracing after watching Clannad, After story, and Kanon. Im liking it.

About Paprika, I watched it once,... I didn't like it much. I don't want to rewatch it again.

This would get deleted. Why are you backtracking, who, what, or why do you like any of these series? Why didn't you like Paprika, and why won't you watch it again?

I used to emphasize people try and put more detail into stuff like this, but even one good sentence will pass for me these days. So please, to you and everyone else whose posts are disappearing, make an effort.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
@ehsan13:
If it helps, you could compare your post count (under your avatar, or on your profile) to this count which can be found by clicking on "Find all posts by ehsan13" on your profile page (profile link can be found on your post's panel). In case the numbers are different, that means a post [or more] has been deleted by a moderator. So, in case your posts disappeared, yet the numbers are the same, that's most likely a bug that could be taken to the Bugs & Technical Questions forum. Currently, they are both on 3, and that most likely indicates a bug.

But that doesn't always mean they have moderated you. Say, even if you have made an understandable and detailed post, yet the thread you've posted on is deleted, that number would also be affected. Or in case you were replying to a reply that's been deleted, it could happen.

Also a few tips (as I have seen it happening like 50 times by now):
  • Try not to do massive quoting, just quote the necessary part or simply write the name of the poster the reply is directed at.
  • Try not to do double posts, but rather hit the "edit" button on the top right.
  • Do as I say, not as I do!

Last edited by egoist on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:52 am; edited 2 times in total
ehsan13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
@egoist:

Thanks for your reply. I've checked that. Whenever I post a comment the count increases, and it is added in the "Find all post by.... " section. When it disappeared from the thread, I checked that it disappeared from the "Find all post by..." section, too. And the count also reduced.

And thanks for those tips, I like those. Smile

Tony K. wrote:

Or maybe even use a little common sense and make note of the thread title like "What are you watching right now? Why?"

For example, this:

ehsan13 wrote:
Right now I am watching Air. Im kind of backtracing after watching Clannad, After story, and Kanon. Im liking it.

About Paprika, I watched it once,... I didn't like it much. I don't want to rewatch it again.

This would get deleted. Why are you backtracking, who, what, or why do you like any of these series? Why didn't you like Paprika, and why won't you watch it again?

I used to emphasize people try and put more detail into stuff like this, but even one good sentence will pass for me these days. So please, to you and everyone else whose posts are disappearing, make an effort.

I got the point now. Whenever I say I like something, or I dont like something, I have to explain why that is so.
Anyways, my suggestion to you would be not to delete comments... First of all because its kinda demotivating. I mean I dont like posting anything if I see my post gets deleted. Secondly, I dont get to know why it was deleted. Instead, like other mods, you can post a warning reply in the same thread. In that way I get to know what my mistake was, and others would also see it, and woudnt make the same mistake. This would reduce your work.

Keonyn wrote:
Hmm, well we generally don't actually delete threads but archive them in a "deleted" area, but I can't find any posts or threads in there from you so I'm not quite sure why they disappeared or what happened. I can attest that I have not read or moderated any of your posts myself.

How many posts, roughly, went missing?

1 post in the thread "What are you watching right now? and why? " I posted again, edited again. Im putting effort in it now. May be it wont get deleted this time . Smile

Last edited by ehsan13 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
Ah, so that's it. Yeah, as Tony said, we're just looking for contributions to the discussion. Think of each thread as taking part in a discussion, not necessarily a debate, but just a discussion amongst like-minded individuals. Just saying "I don't like series x" won't add much to that discussion.

We're not looking for or asking for essays or anything like that, not at all. Even a few sentences saying what you did or didn't like to explain the stance you've taken is all we're asking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
ehsan13 wrote:
Anyways, my suggestion to you would be not to delete comments... First of all because its kinda demotivating. I mean I don't like posting anything if I see my post gets deleted. Secondly, I don't get to know why it was deleted. Instead, like other mods, you can post a warning reply in the same thread. In that way I get to know what my mistake was, and others would also see it, and woudnt make the same mistake. This would reduce your work.

Yeah, sorry about that. I used to actually go through the trouble of sending nice private messages to every single user I saw that made forum violations, but only a very small handful ever listened or even went through the trouble to reply, so I eventually just stopped caring at all thinking no one really cared. From now on, I'll make an effort to either reply directly to said posts or just edit them and hope that person gets the message.
ehsan13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
@Tony k.:
Thanks... If you are giving effort to notify us of our mistakes... we will also give effort to make our posts error free, and informative. Smile
vedicardi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I think they might have assumed with the fact that you have 2000 posts that you would know the rules
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I think this must be mistaken.:p

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
vedicardi wrote:
I think they might have assumed with the fact that you have 2000 posts that you would know the rules

Who in the world are you even talking to? The poster ehsan13 has 10 posts total now. How you got this magical number of 2000 is beyond me.

As for the topic at hand I have to say honestly I agree with aprt of ehsan's complaint. Simply deleting posts with no explanation does not give a poster any chance to fix things or at the very least improve upon them. I have been here long enough to know what Tony is talking about though about formerly sending PM's and trying to be nicer. I received 1 or 2 from him back in the day. I know it gets tiring. I have a suggestion to make for you Tony though that should please others and not give you too much extra work. Give each user one warning/mulligan before any deletion. After the one friendly warning if they don't brush up on the rules then delete away. To keep confusion down on who has or has not been warned maybe you mods in the staff section could make a thread where you solely list in alphabetical order posters. So in other words if poster "otakukingfool" gets a warning add him in the appropriate place in the "o" section. Would only take say 30 seconds more effort to look up/post a username there and that way you know for sure if a person has been warned before. It's obviously much harder on this site to keep track of the less then infamous posters who get warnings then at a small forum. Just an idea. Sorry if it's a dumb idea. I simply am a bit OCD about keeping records and details about stuff like that so I figured I'd mention it in case any of the mods might be as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5