• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Eminence in Shadow (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:03 am Reply with quote
And with the third episode there is a lovely conclusion to the vampire arc. We had bloody fights, laughs and plenty of cringe in a positive way. I especially liked the ''I am atomic'' that did not work out and the reactions to it. Though seeing the Shadow Garden members get emotional while Cid is crying over all that lost gold is not bad either. As for Claire's special power in her hand awakening, that will probably be a plot point later on, while it is a solid goof for now. The recovery atomic fixed everything up nicely, so the pervert boys also get to live another day and even the queen gets to stay alive/undead.

Interesting to note is that the anime changed a few things compared to the source material. I personally like the changes they made, though a flashback or two with extra details missing is a bit of a pity.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
It's funny that I thought Silver Fox would turn out to have Aurora's face but that is Alpha's face again, right? It doesn't matter much as both her and Juggernaut are following Cid and Claire back home because "main character" so I'll get someone lse's opinion on it sooner or later.

Aurora as sexy school nurse. Ok, I mean I am OK with it but... there's a lot of questions. I know from "where" but that just raises questions of "when".
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I might have to rewatch season 1 at this rate. I know the witch of calamity was released from the hidden instance dun--- I mean, that weird secret lab where she was somehow bound. But I can't remember much about the last moments/circumstances where she faded, stage right. . And there was a pretty big cast of side characters before her. The two royal sisters. That disgraced noble whose father was turned into a puppet. The (elven?) former arena champion....
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Now that everyone has had their lesson in economics, you now know more than most members of Congress. It sounds like John Smith is going to rip off everyone, make a ton of money then restart his company they way he wants it. Cool
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:30 am Reply with quote
I don't why, but I'm kinda hoping that the company Shadow Garden started will be more resilient than Sid expects. I know they'd all willingly sacrifice the company in a heartbeat if Sid asked them, and I'm sure that even if the company does get ripped apart, things will miraculously work out with some kind of Deus Ex Machina/coincidence because that's the conceit that drives this show. But the fact that they put so much effort into building this particular sandcastle still makes me wince at the idea of Sid coming in and kicking it down for his own momentary amusement without giving them any kind of advance warning.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:17 am Reply with quote
Sid has no idea how finance, banking and even money works. Seriously, his initial masterplan was counterfeiting by way of copy machine. The later idea built off that will only shore up Shadow Garden's business because their currency is too difficult to counterfeit. Copying the inferior copiers... using "copy" a lot, Sid... shouldn't cause a run on Shadow Garden's bank, it should make the people run TO Shadow Garden for the bank's genuine certificates.... like the shirts earlier,

For someone as smart as "master spy John" can occasionally be, he's combining gold backed currency with free standing currency. What Shadow Garden is doing is they're turning the backed currency into free currency whose value is solely backed by their name... incidentally, it's usually build a country first then the currency... oh right, they already have a country made out of the formerly possessed.... who's going to own a nation or two before the news goes public.

Apart from Sid, there's not really a villain yet but maybe his understanding of economics is villain enough for now. He should have just stuck with "more gold is better than less gold".
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Welp, not surprisingly, this whole trade war is turning into a ginormous fustercluck right on schedule.

Fun to watch though.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was the end of the John Smith arc, it was not a bad one, yet I liked the vampire arc a lot more.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
With only 5 episodes left in this season, I don't know how they are going to show the entire Oriana Kingdom arc. They might get half of it in.
Edit: In doing more research, I found that there is a big difference between the web novel and the light novel for the Oriana Kingdom arc. If the anime committee goes with the light novel, they might be able to get the next arc done in 5 episodes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with the source material myself, but all those recaps made it seem like they were skipping a whole hell of a lot of details to cram in the next arc.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:58 am Reply with quote
Edjwald, from what I know, you are correct. What a mash up. The montage where Cid is walking and recalling what he did over the last few days is from the incomplete web novel. The rest of the episode appears to be based on the light novel.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:21 am Reply with quote
Well, the annoying Perv finally got his asshat handed to him.

And I have to say, it's kind of sad and kind of hilarious watching Rose's interactions with our anti-hero. Last episode, where he was interrupting lines of great passion by occasionally pausing to take a bite out of the cookies on his plate was pretty genius. Here's hoping there's a "Despite our great love, I can't abandon my duties as the queen" speech coming up.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
I love Rose. Kills her father, beheads her fiancé, stands and watches while her mother gets.... divorced from life.
I don't see her becoming Queen. Rose's father may have forgave her and her mother is... was a lot but I don't see Rose getting over what her country did to her. For now, I don't see it.

What I do see is her hunting down the Rounds. The powers behind the powers that ruined life, her country and her connections to everyone. Is she powerful enough to tell everyone trying to control her to stop?

I have no idea. She's had three power ups, has access to arcane tech and if she gets the Control Device together with the Ring, she should become one of the elites.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
Actually, Mordred killed both Perv Asshat and Rose's mom.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking "Huh, this is basically a rinse and repeat of the way the halfway point to season 1 ended" when they pulled out that stunt in the last 5 minutes. Was not expecting that, and I liked it..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5