• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Eminence in Shadow (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13: A Bloody Showdown as an Offering to Annihilation
----------------------------------

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14: Your Lie, Your Wish

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15: The Strongest Weak Man

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16: Unseen Intentions

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17: Moonlight That Pierces the Darkness

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18: Betting on a Moment

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19: Dancing Puppet

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Episode 20: Advent of the Demon

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The new season has started and Eminence is back with everything that made it a guilty pleasure to watch. Cid being an absolute cringelord with trying to act cool and even stealing lines to get it done, check, Cid's posse being very serious about everything, check, the pervy boys from school, very much check. There is also the new conflict that involves the vampires, crime lords, local dark knights, Cid's sister, mysterious vampire hunter and Cid himself making for a fine mess to go wild in.

If you hated Eminence before, the episode will do nothing to change that, but fans will be right at home.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:40 pm Reply with quote
As long as I don't try to make Cid fit the role a hero, I like this show. For me, it's a tale of how an uber dillhole winds up being karmic justice for a bunch of even worse @$$wipes, and a bunch of people in trouble ultimately wind up benefiting from it through a series of misunderstandings. The show still has its great visuals and unusual twists and genuinely creepy villains, and I still like it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:27 pm Reply with quote
In the week prior to the new season, I watched the series with its dub and I have to say the show's even better binged. And it's not because there's not enough story, it's because there's too much and characters and plots get introduced long before they are used properly in the story... and then you forget just how they're introduced.

Regardless, episode one season 2 or or episode 21... that has to be intentional, I thought 20 was such a weird number to end upon even then.... we've gone from unexplained elves to unexplained vampires and zombies... also the Lawless City which has a pagoda tower, a barbarian outpost and the Tower of Babel.
Because why not.

There's also Mary the Ancient Vampire Hunter who's wearing one of those hats Chinese vampires wear. OH, Blood Queen Elizabeth and Mary, OK, I get it now. Maybe.... I first thought of Elizabeth Bathory as the Red Queen, who's still probably included.

Something that was mentioned a few times in the earlier series gets repeated at the end of this episode, that's Sid's greatest concern is that there is yet another Isekai protagonist who's writing their own story. And the first character shown in the new ending is the still unconnected original world character Akane.... and the last original returning character in the episode proper was Rose.

Who's not in the ending. I suspected it on the rewatch as Rose's POV is the only one that can match Sid's. Also, because of the thing I saw outside of their train trip together on their way to Lindwurm. Something "new", literally new, was added and it wasn't part of Sid's power trip of darkness and demons.

"Wait, that's a crashed spaceship. I did not notice that before."
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
The chaos continues this week. More action, some information of the past and a shocking revelation. Well, to be honest, the vampire hunter who wields blood base weapons being a vampire should shock nobody. I really love that Cid is still saying those same few lines and went for a surprise at the end to switch things up. As for the perverts from school, did I see correctly that one of them is a ghoul now?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
Basically, I treat this show as a comedy of terrors. The usual modus operandi is for one or two sympathetic characters who are out of their depth to get involved (in this case the vampire and sis). Then for Cid to ricochet around in OP narcissistic twit mode and somehow manage to do good, largely by coincidence and whim. This leads to his motivations being given greater significance by his loyal following and his legend continuing to grow.

Cid bugged me at first, but it's gotten to be a pretty fun formula. I thought it was out of character for Cid to actually show concern for his sister, and then two minutes later they showed him muttering... "wait...was that my sister back there?" Speaking of his sister, the revelation that she has the magical equivalent to a terminal disease was a bit surprising.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:39 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
As for the perverts from school, did I see correctly that one of them is a ghoul now?

Yes. Although, the story seems to have conflicting reports on whether or not someone can be un-ghouled. If they can, then maybe all that needs to happen is to kill the source. But there have been a lot of off-beat plot devices in this series as a whole, so who knows how it might turn out.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:43 am Reply with quote
Sid... someone... probably Sid... Beta is equating being possessed with turning into a vampire/ghoul and Sid's already healed 666 woman of being possessed.

Speaking of 666: Another rewatch "I did not notice that" moment is in episode 20, "Advent of the Demon"... a title that is reminiscent of Tenchi Muyo's "Advent of the Goddess".
Advent of the Goddess introduces secondary secondary villain Octopus head.. I mean Dr Clay who has 8 curls coming off his beard. Advent of the Demon showcases the introduction of Miss 666... who has 8 curls coming off her head. Either this is a heck of a coincidence or someone has a sense of humor/eye for anime references, one they were sitting on it for a long time.... it's kind of impressive if it was one.

I love this series, I can't stress that enough.

Episode 2... where the Ancient Vampire Hunter turns out to be an ancient vampire.
Mary and Claire... Marie Claire, OK, this show is officially becoming a smartass... face off against "I'm not Berserker" Juggernaut who possibly doesn't die... question mark?... while Shadow decides to circumvent the climax and retire Crimson before the fight started.
And that's it, fun stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5