• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dr. Stone (TV + special).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Suika is a nice addition to have not only because she is a fun character, but also because she is an ace at stealth.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
Well, I said that Suika is an ace at stealth and it seems like she will need to prove it. Things are looking rather dire for the science team at the moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:43 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 8

...and a bit of bad luck that it just happened to be Ginro who was the other non-petrified crew member. He's not exactly on Team Science's "A" Squad...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
Ginro did relatively okay in the newest episode. He is still not one of their top assets, but he does do what is needed when push comes to shove.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
And that was the first cour of the third season, seems like the second cour will bring about plenty of action. Overall the third season is better than the second one, but still does not reach the heights of the first season for me. I just loved building up the village and slowly unlocking and using new tech. The third season has a solid amount of that too though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 11 (Finale)

So this is the first show of the Spring season that I am watching to end. Dang, these seasons go fast. In any case, an enjoyable watch and we only have to wait until the Fall for the next helping. I wonder if season 4 is just going to be all about the battle on the island or we'll the crew get to go further on their (presumptive) trans-oceanic voyage? I guess we'll see...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:04 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that the second cour will be all battle against the island folks. Wars in Dr. Stone tend to be long with lots of seemingly it is all over moments.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wonder if season 4 is just going to be all about the battle on the island or we'll the crew get to go further on their (presumptive) trans-oceanic voyage?

It sure is convenient that both the cause and the cure for petrification are practically within spitting distance of each other, globally speaking. I mean, it could have originated in South America or Antarctica. Smile

But that being the case, what else is there for them to do once they inevitably win the battle? Just manufacturing nitric acid, sailing around the world handing it out and maybe finding more platinum and reviving more people who could make more and teaching them how to unpetrify everyone (it's not like they alone could revive 6-8 billion people, depending on how many got irreparably damaged over the millennia). Which sounds fairly boring overall, unless it's just montaged.

I mean sure, they could drag it out with various adventures/conflicts with the people they revive (they're bound to run into some folks like Tsukasa or religious fundamentalists who are opposed to reviving everyone, and just plain psychos who want to burn down the world). But afaik, the manga didn't do that or it would still be running.

I kinda expect them to find a way to make a global revival beam to counter the global petrification beam, which would save lots of time and make a long voyage moot (despite all the time the series spent on them preparing for such).

So aside from the upcoming conflict, the main things I think they still have hanging is reviving Tsukasa and dealing with whatever mischief his unrepentant henchmen will get up to. Is it too much to hope that they're at least smart enough not to revive those two until everything else gets settled? Smile Yeah, probably. Why else did the mangaka bring them along?

I wonder if we'll ever find out why birds were the only non-humans that were petrified?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
You are forgetting why man. I assume that after dealing with the island and the petrification weapon they are going to get to the bottom of who or what why man is.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It sure is convenient that both the cause and the cure for petrification are practically within spitting distance of each other, globally speaking. I mean, it could have originated in South America or Antarctica. Smile

I don't think that the island is necessarily where the cause of the petrification originated considering that the device that the islanders are using has too small a yield to affect the entire world. For all we know, there could be other smaller devices worldwide.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wonder if we'll ever find out why birds were the only non-humans that were petrified?

If I remember correctly, it was only a single species of bird that they were finding petrified and not birds in general.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
If I remember correctly, it was only a single species of bird that they were finding petrified and not birds in general.

I was thinking that too, but I couldn't remember for sure, so I just went with birds. Smile Same question though, just even more puzzling.

@smurky turkey: I did forget Why Man, because I guess I assumed he was the Tsukasa clone leading the islanders. If not, then yeah, add him to the to-do list. Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:18 am Reply with quote
Dr. Stone is back in action and it is time for the kingdom of science to strike back. Last time we saw them, only a few of the crew were left since the rest were petrified on the ship. Things were looking dire. This week was an exciting start to get the necessary people unpetrified in order to have a fighting chance. That excitement included sending bits and pieces of Ryusui back by using the rats, a rather extreme/creative solution. Also extreme was the teamwork between Ryusui, Taiju and Soyuz.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

I wonder what's happened to Ryusui's (the captain) female assistant? She seems to be the only key member who has not been revived yet. Interesting development with Moz. I guess we are getting closer to finally finding out what the heck the deal with the petrification device is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda sad that everyone is losing their cool petri-scars. But I'm starting to wonder if rather than being some evil, cleanse-the-earth, attempted genocide, it was an experiment to heal people that got out of control and petrified everyone on earth including the person who was supposed to undo it. Still wondering about the birds...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, in regards to the original petrification being an accident, I find that hard to believe. They are able to use the weapon on the island to petrify a small group of people, lord knows what you would need to petrify an entire planet. I assume you would need a lot of power, or a lot of whatever special item was used to do it. It seems too grand in scope to be an oopsie.

As for the last few episodes, things are heating up, another big battle is gonna take place soon and the fact that even Ginro managed to handle the spotlight for a bit is noteworthy. As for the main villain of the arc, he does not seem like the type to turn over a new leaf later on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4