• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tony K. and Stark700 Anime Appreciation Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, see Tony K. stumbled onto a winning strategy when trying to explain something to me: use pik-churs! Thanks to both SM and Tony K. for clueing me in on how to search properly. That'll come in pretty handy in the future, I'm sure.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, very helpful.

Like, I once rated all the Mitsuru Adachi manga and anime in the reading/watching threads. So I put my name in the author thread, and an obscure title like "Katsu" as a keyword, limit to manga forum, set results to "posts" and I get my list.
Also how I figure out when I bought things in the Retail thread or find my list of lost DVDs from my long-ago car burglary.

I just keep thinking there must be an easier way to do the links in the index or it's not worth doing.

This forum software just doesn't support easy dropping in of links, so you have to do the whole copy+paste rigamarole.

I tried to lessen the work as much as I could but it's still a chore. Like, I'd copy a list of shows into a text file, then copy and paste empty tags around each
[url= ] title [/ url]
open all show pages into tabs and paste the url of each into the tags for each show.
Once that was done, paste into the index thread for Tony to put in order/

As streamlined as I could get it, but still takes quite a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:48 am Reply with quote
Now that I know the proper way to search, I agree that the Index is probably not necessary. However, as you point out, that method of searching does not appear to be available on phones and I'm sure there's a lot of users like me who aren't aware of the better search method as laid out by you and Tony K.

Seeing how Tony K. now organizes the anime titles by day of the week, reminds me that for years, I've been using ANN's My Anime function to keep track of my currently airing simulcast schedule (among other things). I used to use My Anime to catalogue my physical collection by genre, but abandoned that years ago in favour of a simple, alphabetized Word doc list that is split into TV shows, OVAs and Movies/Specials.

Here's a look at what my Currently Airing folder in My Anime looks like:

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Blood-&categ=13

Right now there is only 9 titles listed because the season has just started, but there will be several more added in the coming days. In the Comment Section, I assign each show a number between 1 and 7 (1 being Monday all the way up to 7 which is Sunday) right at the beginning because when you click on the up arrow right beside the Comment header, it arranges your list from smallest number to largest. Given that I often have 30+ shows a season, this is a handy way to keep track of my daily viewing schedule.

I keep track of what time the episode is available, what platform it's on and the number of the last episode I've watched is.

Once a show has completed its broadcast run, I move it to my Seen All folder and record when it ran and how many episodes it had.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood, I fixed your link. It didn't have your user name in the URL, so it was taking me to my own Category 13.

For my new seasonal formatting, I was in the middle of trying to put shows in my own lineup, then realized how difficult it was to figure out what aired on what days, so I just revamped the whole thing. Hopefully, that'll make it easier for other people who might've been having the same problem.

As for making the discussion threads from scratch. It's actually not too hard, for me. I've been doing it so long, I've mastered the pacing and speed of copying, pasting, and typing in the values, it only takes a couple of minutes to make one thread.

The hard part is when I have to research stuff and extrapolate information to guess some Genres or Themes because I want their to be some descriptors, even if I don't plan on watching the show. It's a little bit of my OCD to make the opener look somewhat complete.

But then I go down the rabbit hole of wanting to do it for every title. So I backtrack and start finding older and really popular titles to do it for. I even started modifying the Detective Conan opener to include air dates and links for each movie and all the TV seasons. That's where the real time time sinks come in.

I'm sure if they ever update these forums, or even tie the discussion threads to the Encyc. entries for said title, I won't have as much to do for actual indexing. But until then, I keep making spiffy things.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the fix, Tony K.!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2