• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
HORRIBLE message anime teaches to Japanese children

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:14 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Quote:
Even the US is low at 12.012 births per 1000 people for last year.

The only reason it is that high is that first and second generation immigrants continue their habits even after coming into the country. Of course many want to cut off that supply of population.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
(Some edits for clarity)

Was it this extreme 30 years ago? I have been enjoying some slice of life and rom-com shows but keep trying to find ones that are a bit more mature because it can get old quick watching 15-year-old boys pee themselves and run away if a girl looks at them. Feeling some anxiety or awkwardness is one thing (and I get exaggerating for comedic effect), but it's become a bit much from my western perspective...The question should be how pervasive is the change and is ianime actually influencing youth(in significant. Umbers) in Japan to be less social? Is it only Japan?

It's difficult to find a show where the characters, even older ones, don't freak out like 6-year-olds if their hands brush the hand of a member of the opposite sex. So much anime displays this at the most extreme levels, often (paradoxically) in the same show that is also saturated with sexual wish fulfillment. The lesson one “could” take from anime is that the more socially withdrawn and awkward one is, the more women (usually) will fall into your lap. That is a setup for declining socialization (and that seems to be what’s implied as a causal factor).

One could ask, is Japanese culture chasing anime...or is the art of anime just reflecting cultural norms? Art meet life. That's why I am curious about anyone's experience from 30-40 years ago before anime hit big internationally. I don't know. It would be a curious sociology paper (wait, I suspect someone's done it already right?). Any students of pre 1990 anime and how strong these messages were then?

Last edited by InfiniteJest on Tue May 02, 2023 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:10 pm Reply with quote
From what I can glean as an outsider, it would be a huge mistake to draw any conclusions about general Japanese social attitudes and norms from anime/manga content which tends to be created by otaku for other otaku. That tends to be why otakus are often looked down upon by members of the general Japanese population, because anime and manga is often full of what the average Japanese person would consider weird or perverted stuff. Please don't join in with MaxSouth's facile and inaccurate belief that anime/manga shapes behaviour.attitudes for Japanese people as a whole.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Hi Blood-

No, I'm not joining anyone's belief. Just asking some questions coming new to this discussion and forum. Not because my mind is made up or I know anything definitively. If my post overstated or misrepresented that I'm sorry. I still have to look up most of the terms used in the reviews and forums here.

Clearly even a pronounced movement or group within a culture does not define everyone in that culture. So, while I'm interested in sociological phenomena and trends, I'm not interested in stereotyping the country of Japan. Fair enough?

The question of "does life imitate art or does art imitate life?" has been around long before anime so my curiosity was really just about that. But if the thread is too divisive, I'm happy to just move along. The title clearly sets a tone far beyond where I was interested in going and I should have taken that more seriously. I'll just leave it all be. But thanks
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I didn't mean to potentially scare you off, either. I have to admit that MaxSouth's initial post irritated me. I think any personal opinions about how anime/manga treats relationships is absolutely fair game. I share your (and his) bemusement at "males" who are driven to the edge of hysteria by, as you say, the merest brush of a female's hand, not to mention other attitudes I find incredibly juvenile. Where I part ways with MaxSouth is when he insists that this kind of content is actually having an impact on Japan's birth rate.

Based on the few posts of yours that I've read, you strike me as very polite and respectful in your communication so I hope you don't shy away from topics that might be a bit... spicy. As always, ANN has no problem with vigorous debate as long as personal insults are kept out of it.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Cool beans,

I do think there is a "growing" segment of the industrialized world where more youth than before are withdrawing (fortunately there are also lots who are not). Japan happened to lead out on it and also happen to have anime which is associated with some stereotypes and plays into them with many of its themes.

Correlation for sure, causation is not so clear.

Other factors also play a role (confounding variables) like; cell phones, social media, the psychological impact of the flood of data in our modern age, changes in parenting, urbanizations, defunded and politicized school systems, and then add COVID to it, and you have increasing isolation, and a spreading industrialized culture (Japan, Korea, US.) that seems to be molding a generation that connects online far easier than face to face. Who knows where it'll all end up in our brave new world. I'm enjoying my dive into anime and am trying not to just be a tourist. As long as I don't have to eat soylent green I'll be fine Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read much on Japan's declining birth rate and the potential reasons for it, but I think one thing that's having an impact is the attitude of Japanese women. Japan was/is a very patriarchal/sexist society where women were expected to stay home and raise the kiddies. It seems a lot of modern Japanese women aren't interested in being restricted like that and are choosing not to marry and not to have kids.

I have a friend who is friends with a Japanese woman who married a Canadian guy and lives in Canada. The friend and this woman went on a brief trip together... I think about 5 days or so. The Japanese woman told my friend there was no way she could tell her mother about the trip because the mother would be absolutely scandalized that the woman was leaving the children alone with the husband to look after. Yikes. No wonder Japanese females are increasingly looking askance at the institution of marriage.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
If you think anime teaches the majority of kids in Japan anything there is your first mistake. Yea, anime is totally shown on video days in classrooms as material to help with teaching. For homework go watch the next 5 episodes of One Piece and write a paper on relationships. Saying the Japanese prime minister should demand anime studios make fake animated characters pursue relationships more actively is asinine. Trying to link anime relationship dynamics to Japan's declining birth rate is right up there as well. Not surprising given other rants you've had here over the years. I'm certainly not going to waste my time delving into the various differences and intricacies of relationships and social culture and how they vary from country to country. Blood and gore is immoral and bad. 2d boobies good. Got it.

There's a simple solution for your apparent problem though. You wanna see relationships pursue much more quickly and characters engage in them? Just go watch hentai. There ya go. Tell the prime minister to show that in schools. Rolling Eyes
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Anime does not "brainwash" anyone.

The birthrate is declining because Japanese women are choosing to *gasp* HAVE CAREERS instead of agreeing to be perfect little yamato nadeshiko baby-making wives like 50 years ago.

Oh, the outrage.

Rolling Eyes

[Edit: removed personal insult. Errinundra.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2