• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An Anime Character That Deserves A Lot Of Hate

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
he's still loud after 6 seasons, but the bullying doesn't last that long. Like killjoy said, that part of him starts to rapidly change after major events in season 3
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
Actually, in all seriousness, I have meant to go back to MHA. I initially dropped it a few episodes into Season 2 and it wasn't just because of Bakugo but he certainly didn't help. It's good to know he doesn't remain the same all the way through. It makes going back a more likely prospect.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:21 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest. I'm quite happy to see this thread going as much as it has recently. Smile I wrote this post in response to a YouTube video done by a channel called Anime America. While it had Endeavor,a controversial hero in the "MHA" universe get a mention,I thought that Bakugo should also deserved to be there. While someone like Mineta also gets a lot of dislikes because he's a bit of a perv,he mostly comes across as a joke and gets punished for his antics.
Bakugo,on the other hand,seemed to get a pass. He's a selfish,loud,obnoxious cretin who deserves a lot more hate from the fandom. Basically,he treated Izuku like garbage and then told him to die because he didn't have a quirk. There have been those here who quit the show because of this creep. For me,I hated Bakugo and thought he deserved to be punched in the face by more than few others,many of the other characters were often better and far more enjoyable than the obnoxious loudmouth.

I stuck with "MHA" because it was a fun interesting take on superheroes and most of the characters were likable. I never thought to ditch it because of one character. I could understand it if the show went down in quality or the other characters became annoying or horrible. The fact that most of them are still enjoyable to watch is to this show's credit. I've said it before. I'll say it again. "My Hero Academia" is a good show. Don't let someone like Bakugo ruin a good experience just because you wish someone should have punched him in the stomach.
It's really great and worth giving a chance. I hope that those who left it will give it that chance. I promise you won't regret it.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:53 am Reply with quote
Momoe from Dusk Maiden. She is annoying and stupid in every scene. Even when she’s not annoying she is annoying. They need to shave off about 50% of her extra to make it so she doesn’t detract from every scene she is in.

I feel the same way about FILO in shield hero.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:03 am Reply with quote
Well,sorry InfiniteJest. If you want my opinion on "Dusk Maiden" or "Shield Hero,"I'm afraid I can't. Largely because I haven't seen them so I don't have an opinion of either Momoe or Filo. Sorry to say it,but it's the truth.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:15 am Reply with quote
Dusk Maiden I highly recommend.
Shield Hero season 1 had some good points but also has some meh.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

And,for me,that character is Katsuki Bakugo. What is it about him that people like so much?

He makes me laugh. Bakugo thinks he's SO tough and badass....but he's so goofy when he's mad....I can't take him seriously...he's just one big loud goofy clown boy Laughing

Quote:
Even Minoru Mineta for all his silly antics is slightly better than Bakugo.

OH HELL NO.
I will take a loud mean boy over a literal sex offender ANY DAY. YIKES.

Death to Mineta. At least Kacchan got character development and doesn't molest girls!!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:56 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry,Chiibi,but I kinda disagree with you on Bakugo. He's loud,obnoxious,and an utter jerk. I agree that he thinks he's a tough guy,but he's also an utter bully. Someone should have punched him in the face a long time ago. How he treated Izuku simply because he didn't have a quirk,I find a little hard to forgive. He said he should kill himself because of that. It's that and his abrasive nature make it hard for me to like him very much.
Yes,I agree with you on Mineta. He's a pervert,but at least he gets his comeuppance a lot and he's pretty much deserved them. When has Bakugo ever gotten the comeuppance he deserves? Someone should have given him a mild electric shock at least just for his attitude. Mineta got punished for the stuff he does. Bakugo never really did. That's how I feel about it.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri May 26, 2023 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:00 pm Reply with quote
He IS very mean, yes. I won't deny that! Suicide-baiting Deku really isn't cool. I didn't actually start liking him until around the end of Season 3.

He started changing little by little. He's even able to talk to Deku in a softer tone of voice and have a normal conversation with him. His irrational anger then started to be played for laughs and he really grew on me. Deku's not the only one who gets him mad; EVERYONE gets him mad and I started loving to see him snap and yell before I realized it.

But I do totally understand the dislike for him....because of his past sins. Just like how I don't want to forgive other characters for being perverts...even if they change later.

Since you did ask "Why do people like him?"

My simple answer is just "Constantly-pissed off characters just make me laugh". It's funny to see their buttons get pushed. Or count down to the moment they make a crazy RAGE face and start screaming "shut up" and "die" . Laughing

Quote:
When has Bakugo ever gotten the comeuppance he deserves? Someone should have given him a mild electric shock at least just for his attitude.

True, that never really happened in the anime so far....but maybe it will eventually. I'm still on Season 5. lol
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:24 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest,Chiibi. It wasn't Bakugo's constant anger that got to me,although it did grate on my nerves. It was his bullying of others,including his "friend" Izuku. It often made me wonder why he still hung around him even though he treated him so badly. He often came across as an unlikable jerk to me. Trust me,I'm not the only one who hates him. Blood- really doesn't like him. In fact,that's why he hasn't watched the show for so long. It was his loud,nasty disposition that drove him away from it.
I can understand not liking Mineta. I have a hard time liking him,too. But,he comes across as a joke and he routinely gets punished. That hardly happens with Bakugo. He's hardly ever reproached or taken to task for some of the things he does,even when he clearly deserves it. Yeah,he gets better,but it's not by much and it's very hard for someone like me to think he's funny when he constantly gets on my nerves all the time.

He's not a great character,Chiibi. He's basically hard to like and who deserves some type of comeuppance at some point. I'd like to see that happen. He's long been deserving of something like that.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
So many people love Bakugo that much because he does start out as an obnoxious bullying jerk...but he grows, and he changes, to an extent that shonen characters are only rarely allowed to. And while he takes 6 seasons to come full-circle, it starts happening far earlier than that. You start to get the sense that there's a lot of posturing behind his behavior, and you see that as brash as he sounds, he genuinely wants to become a great hero and take down villains, every bit as much as Izuku does.

Quote:
If Bakugo ever decided to go to the other side,it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Funny you should say that, because spoiler[he has that chance handed to him on a silver platter...and he basically tells the villains to go **** themselves straight to their faces, even though he knows it could get him killed. A lesser series would have seen him go that route, but MHA is too good for that.] I think that's the point when I really started to like him.

The best way I can think of to describe Bakugo is "he's Sasuke, if Sasuke didn't completely suck." By the time his character arc comes full-circle in season 6, I genuinely think he's my favorite character in the entire cast. I love my angry murder son.

Last edited by Top Gun on Mon May 29, 2023 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Bakugo is a dick in general, but he's not "willing accessory to mass murder" evil. You can be an abrasive asshole and still ultimately be a good person where it counts.

Bakugo really went from an absolute dumpster fire to one of my favorite characters. He starts out as your cliche middle school bully, but then from basically Day One of high school he starts getting put in his place; Kaminari straight up calls his personality garbage, to his face, all the way back in season one and none of his classmates are ever impressed by his jackass behavior. In the past six seasons, we've watched him go from the piece of shit he was to a decent person willing to genuinely apologize and go beyond (plus ultra) the call of duty. One of Horikoshi's greatest strengths with writing is the characters who show real emotional growth, and the only way to do that realistically is as a slow burn that doesn't become obvious until it's already well on the way.

Hell, the boy gets kidnapped in season 3 because the villains saw how trash is attitude is and expected him to be on their side. If that's not some consequences for his shitty behavior, I don't know what is. He's sitting there chained up, surrounded by people who could and would kill him without a second thought if they decided he wasn't worth their time. Other series would have fed into his inferiority complex with Deku and had him join to get stronger, or at least pretend he was interested so he could double-cross them later. What does our Angry Rowdy Boy do? He doesn't even consider that, he's pissed off they'd ever expect him to be on their side. This kid, who has no idea help is on the way and probably expects he'll die before it gets there, squares up his nuts of steel and tells the gang of violent murderers to go fudge themselves off a cliff. Absolute king shit.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:14 am Reply with quote
That's interesting,Top Gun,CelestialEmpress. Although he does change,it's not by much. He comes across to me as an abrasive jerk who's hard to like. Unlike most of the other characters,I just wish he got punched in the face. I do agree with Kaminari that he had a garbage personality. I thought he deserved that. I just wished it occurred a lot more,that all.
I read that Top Gun compared him to Sasuke from "Naruto." For the most part,I saw him as an angry grouch. But,having your whole clan wiped out and your older brother was accused of being the cause of that,I could understand why he'd be that way. With Bakugo,there was none of that. He was a bullying glory hound who thought the world revolved around him and treated everyone else accordingly. It just took so long for him to get better and then,it wasn't really by much.

As I said before,Bakugo's extremely hard to like,him being an obnoxious creep and all. I admit that he rubbed me the wrong way,but when you have this guy's personality,it's hard not to feel that way. When the villains kidnapped him,I'll be honest when I say it was hard for me to feel anything. He was just so nasty,it was hard for me to really sympathize with him,even in that situation. But,it was just one character and that wasn't enough to make me drop the show. There were other,better characters like Midorya,Kaminari,Uraraka,and others like them. That's why I've stuck with the show for so long.
Bakugo isn't the most likable character on "MHA." I just feel and continue to feel that he deserves a lot more hate than he gets. I just feel that he belongs in the least likable characters category,that's all. Those are my feelings about him. Others feel differently,but those are mine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2