• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
See, this is why Theron gets paid to write, and I don’t Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A little behind the times, my friend. It's been a couple of years since I did any writing for ANN; I blog independently about anime now.

But you're welcome about the assist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a Canadian but I feel entitled to answer on behalf of all North Americans. Heh. Concept or premise tends to be used more often than conceit but the three are somewhat interchangeable terms. I would argue that there is somewhat of a nuance when using the word conceit ... it's almost a bit pejorative. In other words, if you say, "The conceit behind Superman's anonymity is that he merely has to put on a suit and a pair of glasses and suddenly he is magically unrecognizable as Clark Kent..." you are in a sense raising your eyebrows a bit in mild disapproval. If you feel absolutely neutral, you are probably more like to use concept or premise.

Hmm, I see! Thank you for the explanation. I kinda feel like in the reviews conceit is being used neutral more often than not, but I can't speak to the writer's intentions, and it probably does still work neutrally (I guess?).
That Superman example helped a lot to get the idea across, and Nom De Plume, your isekai example also gave me a better idea of it.
The world of writing is so interesting. I honestly had never seen anyone use conceit in any way beyond a person being conceited prior to ANN. At first I thought it was a typo, then I saw all the reviewers were using it, every season...

Anyway, sorry to digress the conversation! Thank you both for your replies! It's been very enlightening.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome, harminia! And I think you are right... the use of conceit by ANN's reviewers does seem to be neutral and there is nothing wrong in doing so. The whiff of pejorative around conceit is just something I've noticed in general useage.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Nom De Plume... it's a pity you quoted an earlier incarnation of my Superman example because, all conceit aside, I believe the final version is much better. Wink

I'd just like you to know that every autistic molecule in my body is being restrained from arguing about Superman right now.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a Canadian but I feel entitled to answer on behalf of all North Americans. Heh. Concept or premise tends to be used more often than conceit but the three are somewhat interchangeable terms. I would argue that there is somewhat of a nuance when using the word conceit ... it's almost a bit pejorative. In other words, if you say, "The conceit behind Superman's anonymity is that he merely has to put on a suit and a pair of glasses and suddenly he is magically unrecognizable as Clark Kent..." you are in a sense raising your eyebrows a bit in mild disapproval. If you feel absolutely neutral, you are probably more like to use concept or premise.

I disagree that it has a whiff of pejorative nature. "Premise" is a term that would be used pretty strictly for narrative structure; it doesn't feel right to say "the premise is the main character is gay" as that has no implications for narrative structure. "Concept" tends to be more of a big picture, a broad idea thing--you can talk about the concept of love triangles or harems, for example.

"Conceit" itself tends to be a narrow focus on a specific theme, and it's specifically something that is supposed to set it apart (think novel or imaginative idea). Given that the word "conceited" refers to someone who is overly impressed with themself, I think that crosses into "conceit" a little bit into assuming that it's a twist on an idea that doesn't quite work.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Stardust Telepath has a premise rife with potential, gorgeous character designs, and some charming voice acting performances.
I've noticed there's an inordinate amount of focus on the girls' lips. Like really just a lot of lip-centric shots. It started to remind me of the infamous Akebi's Sailor Uniform foot fetish from last year. So that could be fun or uncomfortable, depending on how into lips your are.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think I generally saw conceit used very much before reading ANN regularly either (am American). My guess was that it's more common among people with literary/creative writing backgrounds, although I guess the concept of the same name is not the same, and maybe among journalists covering creative beats, which isn't the kind of thing I usually read outside of this place.
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:55 am Reply with quote
So far, I really enjoyed Spy x Family and Migi & Dali. Frieren was okay, and the rest was sort of.. not bad, but not great either, in my opinion.

For example, Ron Kamonohashi’s Forbidden Deductions isn’t a bad show, but we just had Undead Murder Farce, which was more interesting in every way. Stardust Telepath isn’t bad, I can actually empathise with the struggles of the main character, but it’s not “Bocchi The Rock- level” either. I will probably watch like 3 episodes, and then forget about them.

For now, I’m mostly looking forward to the end of October and the beginning of November which will bring us Apothecary Diaries, Pluto and Akuma Kun. I hope Akuma Kun will get at least some attention on ANN. Despite the timing.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
With how far back its history goes (and by the same mangaka as GeGeGe no Kitarō no less), I wouldn't be surprised if it got a TWIA article or something like that. I'd hope so, anyway.

Far as stuff like Telepath vs Bocchi the Rock goes though I'm not too inclined to compare them. They work along different lines, with different goals beyond that of a deeply socially anxious young girl getting friends, which to me is enough to only compare them in superficial terms.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
With how far back its history goes (and by the same mangaka as GeGeGe no Kitarō no less), I wouldn't be surprised if it got a TWIA article or something like that. I'd hope so, anyway.

What anime are you talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

My apologies for the lack of clarity, I should have quoted earlier. I meant Akuma-kun.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

My apologies for the lack of clarity, I should have quoted earlier. I meant Akuma-kun.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Far as stuff like Telepath vs Bocchi the Rock goes though I'm not too inclined to compare them. They work along different lines, with different goals beyond that of a deeply socially anxious young girl getting friends, which to me is enough to only compare them in superficial terms.

I’m not saying they are identical, but both mc’s are about the same age, female and have some psychological problems in the way of communicating, which is the major theme in both series. The world they live in is different, therein lies the strength of Bocchi, I think. I’m not that sold on the “outer space-thing” from Stardust. But I think they are really close to each other comparatively.
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:30 am Reply with quote
I am pissed I didn't know that 16bit Sensation was getting an adaptation until now. It doesn't seem it's peek quality, but after Amelie Doree's impassioned video on how much passion it has on the classical bishoujoge.

I am more annoyed that Muse apparently licensed it, but I couldn't find it on YouTube. It is so annoying to watch anime not on YouTube anymore. Legitimately, everything I've been watching so far -- Frieren, Keiken, and Seijou no Maryoku, are all on YouTube, because everything else is just so inconvenient in comparison....
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of Good Night World and I really liked it. I would vote it in for weekly reviews but shitty Netflix dropped all 12 episodes today. And because they dumped all the episodes, it’s probably gonna get lost in this overly packed season.

Which is really too bad because I think it has good, messy, meaty subject matter that really lends itself to reviews and conversation. Well, I’m guessing based on the first episode, which is all I’ve watched so far because, well, preview guide.

Aw hell, I’m gonna vote it in anyway—I’ll amend my ballot right now. Maybe I’ll get lucky Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21