• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:23 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
From what I understand of the show in question, it may be grooming and is clearly portraying a significant age-gap relationship, but I don't think I'd call it pedophilia, no. I mentioned pedophilia because your line of reasoning is identical to the kind that is used (and has recently been used) to defend shows that unambiguously portray pedophilic content as well (in fact, this show came up as an example in the recent Mushoku Tensei thread), and I was listing off the general things that kind of defense is commonly deployed in defense of. I don't know how else to have this conversation; if you don't address the ways that argument is commonly used, then it isn't even clear what it is you're asking the reviewers to 'account for' as if it were a mere cultural difference.

Anyway, I dunno -- I guess you can hope, obviously. On the opposite side, I hope ANN's reviewers maintain their ethical integrity and largely avoid using 'cultural difference' as a way of excusing gross portrayals of traumatic or damaging actions. I'll leave it at that, since this isn't really the purpose of this thread, and this kind of disturbingly common conversation easily spirals out of control.

I’m really offended by your post, but you’re right, let’s stop this, it’s getting outta hand.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
nl_TvdL wrote:
I don’t get why you guys are always so edgy about these “morally wrong” Japanese anime. It’s part of another culture where people are fine with it i guess, it’s not like the 15 year old girl is a real human being forced into a real relationship against her will or something. It’s all just another anime story. If it’s not your cup of tea, i totally get it, it’s not mine either, but what’s the purpose of these harsh reviews every time? It’s not even made for a western audience in the first place.

Do you actually have an opinion on the show and how it handles the topic, or are you just interested in policing what the writers can or cannot find uncomfortable? If you like the show, I'd be happy to hear what you find interesting about it! If you're only here to complain that the writers are not desensitized to this particular story trope, I invite you to find something better to do with your time instead.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow -- they released four episodes of Frieren at once? Almost approximating the original Netflix release model, there. Which would be nice, actually. I think my CR sub expires soon. Shocked
nl_TvdL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
nl_TvdL wrote:
I don’t get why you guys are always so edgy about these “morally wrong” Japanese anime. It’s part of another culture where people are fine with it i guess, it’s not like the 15 year old girl is a real human being forced into a real relationship against her will or something. It’s all just another anime story. If it’s not your cup of tea, i totally get it, it’s not mine either, but what’s the purpose of these harsh reviews every time? It’s not even made for a western audience in the first place.

Do you actually have an opinion on the show and how it handles the topic, or are you just interested in policing what the writers can or cannot find uncomfortable? If you like the show, I'd be happy to hear what you find interesting about it! If you're only here to complain that the writers are not desensitized to this particular story trope, I invite you to find something better to do with your time instead.

I will find something better to do with my time than and will not contribute on this site again if different opinions aren’t appreciated. Have a nice day!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Mode:
This has already gotten very snippy very fast, so let's all cool it, folks.

Oh, and any posts which try to drag grievances about other series into discussions about new ones will be looked at very closely for relevance. We're not going to to needlessly spin long-winded discussions from other series-focused threads into this one.

Non-Moderator Mode:
Since I know we have people following this who have read the source material for Frieren, I'm very curious about why we don't see or hear about any other elves besides the title character. Is this something that the series will eventually address? (And yes, kudos to the series for having both one of the year's best debuts and one of its best OPs.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm very curious about why we don't see or hear about any other elves besides the title character. Is this something that the series will eventually address? (And yes, kudos to the series for having both one of the year's best debuts and one of its best OPs.)

Yes, this is mentioned, though there's a couple other characters with long ears in the OP animation. spoiler[Essentially, Elves are nearly extinct, so rare that Frieren hasn't seen another one in over 300 years. Far as we're told the ones remaining don't seem particularly perturbed by this or interested in having children.]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Since I know we have people following this who have read the source material for Frieren, I'm very curious about why we don't see or hear about any other elves besides the title character. Is this something that the series will eventually address?

Manga spoilers;
spoiler[In the manga she was the sole survivor of her elven village that demons attacked that Flamme rescued so that might have reduced their numbers a lot. Demons obviously viewed elves as a serious threat because of their capabilities and gone after them reducing their numbers. We will eventually meet another elven mage that's even older, at the tail end of this season.]
Though, based on Frieren's personality, there's also a chance a lot of them might simply be hermits...
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Key wrote:
I'm very curious about why we don't see or hear about any other elves besides the title character. Is this something that the series will eventually address? (And yes, kudos to the series for having both one of the year's best debuts and one of its best OPs.)

Yes, this is mentioned, though there's a couple other characters with long ears in the OP animation. spoiler[Essentially, Elves are nearly extinct, so rare that Frieren hasn't seen another one in over 300 years. Far as we're told the ones remaining don't seem particularly perturbed by this or interested in having children.]

Kind of what I expected, but still interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Just chiming in with more Frienen love. After being offside with last season's critics darling, Undead Murder Farce, it's nice to be back with the majority opinion. Really adore this show.
db999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving Frieren. I can see why they broke it up into 4 episodes instead of having 1 long special, it feels distinctly like 4 separate episodes. The show seems like it's going to run on melancholic vibes and it's incredibly well done. Also, the show has some really good comedic moments so it's not like it's a dour show. It's just a very pleasant show to watch and experience. I can see this becoming one of my new favorite shows. It's probably going to end up being one of those shows I always come back to when I'm feeling down, or nostalgic, or if I feel like I need a good cry.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm certainly on the Free Range Mage hype train and I think most viewers will be too, except for contrarians who need to prove their imperviousness to popular media. Smile I loved pretty much everything about it.

Except for one nitpick. I wanted to throw a brick at the screen when they just had to throw in a small boob joke. Think about it: Frieren is not human, does not seek romantic relationships (let alone physical ones), has lived over a thousand years - do the writers honestly think she'd be the least bit concerned about having comparatively smaller boobs than a younger human?? Even assuming she ever was, which is a stretch, surely a millennium is long enough to get over it already. I'm just really sick to death of this stupid trope, and it really jerked me right out of the mood. Please, Frieren, don't do that to me again, m'kay?

Other than that, can't wait for more! -_-
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:13 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Key wrote:

spoiler[Elves seem to live long enough that they don't particularly care about the idea of leaving a legacy, which results in them all more or less being self-centered hermits.]
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm certainly on the Free Range Mage hype train and I think most viewers will be too, except for contrarians who need to prove their imperviousness to popular media. Smile I loved pretty much everything about it.

That's not the reason I'm not watching it. It's because I don't want to be overwhelmed with titles this season and I've already chosen five I want to see, plus I'm rewatching one Pretty Cure and have another (first watch) on hold, and those are looooong series. And I'm watching the current one as it airs.

Maybe I will watch it after it finishes when I have less anime on my plate, and when I've finished The Book of Pooh on Disney+ that I'm watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pi8you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I love how S-Rank Daughter looks, and it's got a pretty good premise ( I hope she doesn't keep missing her chance go home allllll season), but man, the actual animation is really lacking. Wait and see how engaging the next couple of episodes are, I guess.

The best part of Girl and Guard for me was reading kimi no todoke v3 a few hours later and seeing that do a much better job executing on its sports festival plot. Okay, the ED was pretty cute too. Still, that's gonna be a hard pass from me.

I was worried Frieren was going to use the extended premiere to give us an original prequel story from her initial adventure, and very glad to see they just got right into it instead. The manga's been great from go and pretty much everything here just makes it even better (the OP isn't really working for me, maybe having the lyrics would help). There's a stack of other shows that I'm really looking forward to this season, both new and returning, but if they can keep this up, the only show it's chasing this year is Vinland Saga.
LegionWrex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved Frieren: Beyond Journey's End. Probably had the strongest premiere of the year all things considered, really appreciated how it took it's time over the course of the 4 episodes. Makes sense why they dropped all at once cause it's a good primer for both the tone of the show while also getting us to really like the dynamic between Frieren and her new apprentice. I don't know much about the manga other then the people who love it really love it, which gets me excited for the future.

On the other end of the spectrum, A Girl and Her Guard Dog was so dull I could cry. Problematic age-gap stuff aside, I was at least hoping for this to be trashy in a good way considering the subject matter but it can't even manage that. It's ugly as sin from an art perspective, and outside of a couple of chuckles here and there it didn't make me laugh either. Probably preaching to the choir on this one but yep, it's a dud.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21